Finding Funding Opportunities at Federal Agencies
Federal agencies & offices that provide competitively-awarded grants include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Corporation for National and Community Service (Corp. for Natl. Service)
- Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)
- Dept. of Commerce (DOC)
- Dept. of Defense (DOD)
- Dept. of Education (US ED)
- Dept. of Energy (DOE)
- Dept. of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Dept. of the Interior (DOI)
- Dept. of Justice (DOJ)
- Dept. of Labor (DOL)
- Dept. of State (STATE )
- Dept. of Transportation (DOT)
- Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Economic Development Administration (EDA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
Each agency posts its grant opportunity announcements in at least 2 places:
(1) Its own web site (See here for links)
Use SEARCH GRANTS to search for competitive grant opportunities from all the Federal grant- making agencies. Searches can be done by keyword, category (area of interest), agency, and other identifying parameters.
Sign-up for custom email notifications to receive listings of funding opportunities by agency or category (area of interest): https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/manage-subscriptions.html.
GRANTS 101 provides an overview of the federal grants lifecyle as well as definitions of terms and policies.
In addition, grant announcements and/or general information about the agencies' grant programs may be found at:
Published by the Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the Federal Register is the official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
The Dept. of Education (US ED) routinely publishes its grant announcements in the Federal Register in addition to grants.gov.
Contract Opportunites (was Federal Business Opportunities [FBO])
Contract opportunities are procurement notices from federal contracting offices. Anyone interested in doing business with the government can use this system to search opportunities. Opportunities include pre-solicitation notices, solicitation notices, award notices, and sole source notices.
The Dept. of Defense and the Dept. of Energy are the agencies most likely to post opportunity announcements in Contract Opportunities
Assistance Listings (was Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance [CFDA])
Assistance listings are detailed public descriptions of federal programs that provide grants, loans, scholarships, insurance, and other types of assistance awards. You may browse assistance listings across all government agencies to learn about potential funding sources.
Note: The assigned CFDA# identifies the program, but may not be a unique identifier for a specific competition or submission deadline.