Finding Funding Opportunities at Federal Agencies
Federal agencies & offices that provide competitively-awarded grants include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Corporation for National and Community Service (Corp. for Natl. Service)
- Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)
- Dept. of Commerce (DOC)
- Dept. of Defense (DOD)
- Dept. of Education (US ED)
- Dept. of Energy (DOE)
- Dept. of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Dept. of the Interior (DOI)
- Dept. of Justice (DOJ)
- Dept. of Labor (DOL)
- Dept. of State (STATE )
- Dept. of Transportation (DOT)
- Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
Each agency posts its grant opportunity announcements in at least 2 places:
(1) Its own web site (See here for links)
Use SEARCH GRANTS to search for competitive grant opportunities from all the Federal grant- making agencies. Searches can be done by keyword, category (area of interest), agency, and other identifying parameters.
Sign-up for custom email notifications to receive listings of funding opportunities by agency or category (area of interest): https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/manage-subscriptions.html.
GRANTS 101 provides an overview of the federal grants lifecyle as well as definitions of terms and policies.
In addition, grant announcements and/or general information about the agencies' grant programs may be found at:
Federal Business Opportunities
FedBizOpps is the single government point-of-entry (GPE) for Federal government procurement opportunities over $25,000. Most research opportunities listed in FedBizOpps also are listed at grants.gov. The Dept. of Defense and the Dept. of Energy are the agencies most likely to post opportunity announcements in FedBizOpps.
No registration needed to search funding opportunities
Published by the Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the Federal Register is the official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
The Dept. of Education (US ED) routinely publishes its grant announcements in the Federal Register in addition to grants.gov.
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance - now called Assistance Listings at SAM.gov
The Assistance Listings/CFDA provides general descriptions of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi-public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals.
The database can be searched by a variety of parameters, including key words and federal organization.
Note: The assigned CFDA# identifies the program, but may not be a unique identifier for a specific competition or submission deadline.