Controlled Substances

The University of New Hampshire (UNH) must comply with federal and state laws and regulations regarding the use, storage and disposal of controlled substances used for campus research, scholarly activity, and analytical purposes. These include:

Accordingly, UNH has a policy on the use of controlled substances and a Controlled Substances Management Plan. The plan outlines the requirements and responsibilities for the possession and use of controlled substances for authorized research and scholarly activity at UNH.

Use of controlled substances at UNH in research and scholarly activities is restricted to authorized persons working under the direct supervision of the UNH DEA registrant, Dean Elder, Director, Animal Resources Office. All users are required to take an in-person training session with the registrant prior to use of controlled substances. UNH faculty, staff and graduate students are allowed to handle these substances having passed background checks and being in good standing with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.  Failure to comply with controlled substances procedures at UNH may be grounds for employee disciplinary action or research termination.

To request a copy of the UNH controlled substances management plan, make an appointment for training, or for information about UNH's controlled substances program, please contact Dean Elder at (603) 862-4629.

View Controlled Substances Knowledge Base

The Knowledge Base contains forms, instruction and training material, policies, guidance, tools, and other resources to support your research efforts by topic area.

Contact Information

Dean Elder, MS, DVM, Director
Animal Resources Office
46 Rudman Hall
Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 862-4629