National Science Foundation (NSF) - Specific Requirements & Advice
Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG), (NSF 22-1)
This guide is effective for proposals submitted for deadlines on or after October 4, 2021
- Updated fillable PDF formats are available for download from the NSF biographical sketch and current and pending support websites.
- Updated SciENcv formats are available on the SciENcv Create a New Document screen.
Career-Life Balance (CLB) Supplemental Funding Requests
CLB supplemental funding requests must be prepared and submitted in FastLane.
Refer to PAPPG Chapter II.E.8. for CLB supplemental funding request requirements.
The Art and Science of Reviewing Proposals (19-minute video)
NSF Examples of Broader Impacts:
- Broader Impacts - Improving Society
- Transforming the World Through Science, 2nd edition (NSF 18-800)
- Transforming the World Through Science (NSF 17-800)
- Perspectives on Broader Impacts (NSF 15-008)
- Unlocking the Secrets of Science (NSF 13-079)
Common Guidelines for Education Research and Development and FAQs
A report from the Institute of Educational Sciences/US ED and the National Science Foundation
- Guidance on building the evidence base in STEM learning
- Provides guidelines for six types of education “research” projects
- Overview of the nature, justification, evidence generation and so on for each project type
Companion Guidelines on Repliication and Reproducibility in Education Research (November, 2018)
A Supplement to the Common Guidelines for Education Research and Development
UNH-developed NSF Proposal Development Tools and Resources
- Deconstructions for proposals: Research Project, CAREER, select others
- Templates – cover letter, collaboration letter
- Tips & Hints for creating the most effective proposal components