National Institutes of Health (NIH) Specific Requirements & Advice
New requirements became effective Janaury 25, 2019.
Table of All Instructions, Forms and Formats
Blank biosketch form, data tables for use with Institutional Research Training grant applications, etc.
NIH Peer Review: Grants and Cooperative Agreements
A ”one-stop explanation of the core values of peer review and the NIH policies that uphold them”
This comprehensive guide covers all aspects of seeking funding: finding opportunities, interacting with NIH, application preparation, review, and more. Includes sample applications and summary statements for some funding mechanisms
Academic Research Enhancement Award [AREA] for Undergraduate-Focused Institutions (R15)
NIH has made some changes to how it will use the R15 mechanism. See NOT-OD-19-015 for details.
- UNH is eligible ONLY for AREA R15 awards
- Be sure to use the appropriate AREA FOA for your project ("clinical trial not allowed" or "clinical trial required").
- Your Grant and Contract Administrator (GCA) in Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) will upload the now-required institutional eligibility letter when assembling the application package.
Basic Experimental Studies Involving Humans (BESH)
In November 2018, NIH announced the publication of new funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) specifically for Basic Experimental Studies Involving Humans (BESH) (see Open Mike Blog).
Participation in funding opportunities for Basic Experimental Studies with Humans will vary by NIH Institute and Center (IC). Many ICs will continue to accept Basic Experimental Studies with Humans through existing FOAs that accept clinical trials (FOAs designated as Clinical Trial Required or Clinical Trial Optional). It is important to check with a Program Officer to determine the most appropriate FOA for your application.
Need help determining if your research fits within the scope of a BESH FOA?
- New FAQs
- Table comparing Funding Opportunity Types by Clinical Trial Allowability
- Guidance for Determining if a Study Falls Within a BESH FOA
NIH also has updated its Clinical Trial Case Studies to include examples of Basic Experimental Studies Involving Humans (see Cases #9, #14, #40, #41).
Want to narrow down the list of Case Studies? Try the keyword filter to sort and view Case Studies by study type.
UNH-developed NIH Proposal Development Tools and Resources
- Comparison of Selected NIH Research Funding Mechanisms
- Deconstructions for funding mechanisms: R01, R03, R15 FOAs, R21 and select others
- Templates – biosketch, current and pending support
- Hints for NIH Facilities and Other Resources Section, including UNH info for R15 (AREA) applications
- Whom to Talk to During the NIH Application Process