A subrecipient agreement is an agreement made by the University to a third party for the performance of a substantive portion of the work of a sponsored project. In most cases, a subrecipient award will be for a particular phase or area of a sponsored project which has been identified in both the proposal and subsequent agreement of the prime grant or contract and where the University maintains overall scientific, administrative, and financial responsibility (as opposed to covering the use of professional or consulting services).
In most cases, subrecipient agreements will be to other universities for services similar to those performed by the University (research, instruction, and public service). The subrecipient agreement document will be referenced as either a subcontract, subgrant, or sub-agreement. This determination will be based on the prime award being issued as a contract, grant, or agreement.
UNH is responsible for the programmatic and financial monitoring of its Sponsored Programs subrecipients. The procedures outlined in the documents below are intended to define specific responsibilities around subrecipient establishment and monitoring and to assist in defining appropriate ways in which monitoring may be accomplished.
Closeout of Subawards
UNH will not close out a prime award until all subawards issued under the prime award have been closed out.
- Subawards must be processed for closeout and formally closed on a timely basis
- Closeout actions should begin immediately following the expiration of the subaward performance period
- Subawards will only be considered formally closed when all applicable closeout requirements have been accomplished
Subaward closeout requirements:
- Verification with UNH technical representative of the following:
- Deliverable items/services have been delivered/performed
- Inventions or discoveries report from UNH principal investigator (PI)
- Residual property – property remaining at subaward facility
- Items provided by subawardee
- Reports of patents, inventions, or discoveries
- Report of residual property
- Final certified cumulative invoice statement
- Interim subaward change order/amendment to deduct/add funds
- Final invoice processing and payment
The Knowledge Base contains forms, instruction and training material, minutes, policies, tools and other resources to support your research efforts by topic area.
Sponsored Programs Administration
Service Bldg., 2nd Floor
51 College Road
Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 862-4865
Fax: (603) 862-3564