The budget justification is a breakdown of your proposed budget in a narrative format and is used to explain the items needed to accomplish the scope of work. The detail of the justification should consider the requirements of the funding agency and complexity of the award.
The budget justification/narrative should:
- Be written in everyday language
- Conform to sponsor requirements for line items that require justification
- Use the sponsoring agency's template when possible
- Be organized in the order of the items in the detailed budget
- Follow sponsor text formatting requirements
Draft budget justifications for some major sponsoring agencies at UNH:
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- Department of Education (ED)
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- State of New Hampshire (NH)
Please contact your Grant and Contract Administrator for assistance with language and/or specific sponsor requirements.
The Knowledge Base contains forms, instruction and training material, minutes, policies, tools and other resources to support your research efforts by topic area.
Sponsored Programs Administration
Service Bldg. Room 111
51 College Road
Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 862-4865
Fax: (603) 862-3564