February 11, 2021
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff — We are seeing a dramatic and sustained rise in the number of positive COVID-19 cases within the Durham community. As a result, effective 6 p.m. today, Feb. 11, 2021, the Durham campus (Manchester and Law remain in yellow) will transition to our orange mode of operation and impose the following restrictions:
- All courses will transition to fully online unless an exception is approved by the college dean. Friday laboratories may run tomorrow with full PPE; please check with your instructor. While current data show that face-to-face classes are NOT spreading events, this will support de-densification of the Durham campus. Colleges will determine the viability of clinicals, fieldwork and internships on a case-by-case basis.
- No spectators will be permitted at the Friday night men’s hockey game; the pilot program is postponed until further notice.
- All gatherings are limited to no more than six people with all appropriate public health recommendations in place including physical distancing and face coverings.
- Students living in campus housing cannot visit other on-campus halls or apartment buildings.
- No students living off campus are permitted in any on-campus residence hall or apartment building.
- Off-campus students may not isolate or quarantine on campus due to lack of space.
- Research and extension operations will continue as approved.
We are seeing the consequences of COVID fatigue and its impact on our ability to offer additional in-person opportunities. If the numbers continue to climb we will have to put additional measures in place. Please remain vigilant and help us slow the spread #unhtogether.
James W. Dean Jr.