This information was gathered to provide you, an employee leaving the University, with information concerning termination.
Medical, dental and voluntary vision coverage will end on the last day of employment. *
Information regarding your rights to coverage continuation under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) will be mailed to your address of record.
Eligible expenses may be incurred up until termination date. You will then have 90 days following termination to file for reimbursement of eligible expenses.
During the 31 days following your termination of employment, you will be sent information to the address on record regarding conversion of your group term life insurance policy. The Accidental Death and Dismemberment features of your policy cannot be converted.
Long-Term - Long-Term Disability insurance coverage ceases as of your last day of employment. Short-Term - If you are enrolled in the Voluntary Short-Term Disability insurance, your coverage ceases as of your last day of employment.
If you were enrolled in the retirement plan, you have the option to have your vested account balance remain in the plan or take a distribution or rollover at any time after termination. Questions concering withdrawal of funds or retirement income should be directed to the vendor in which you have a USNH account, Fidelity Investments and/or TIAA.
Fidelity Investments Customer Service - (800) 343-0860
TIAA Customer Service - (800) 842-2776
Note: Contributions made on a tax deferred basis, which you withdraw, will be considered taxable income in the year they are received and, if you are younger than 59 1/2 years of age, the amount will be subject to a tax penalty.
Operating Staff Retirement Program
Operating Staff who were enrolled in the Operating Staff (OS) Retirement Program may receive their benefit beginning at age 62. Contact the USNH Benefits Office: 862-0930.
If employment termination occurs during a semester, you are responsible for payment of a pro-rated tuition charge if you, your spouse and/or dependent are utilizing the tuition benefits.
When you retire or terminate employment from the University under normal conditions, exempt staff (PAT, EE, PA, AA) will be paid the balance of accrued vacation up to a 30 day maximum. Non-exempt staff (OS) shall be paid for all unused Earned Time.
Employees who are involuntarily terminated may be eligible to receive unemployment compensation benefits. To facilitate the process of applying for unemployment compensation benefits, please designate your employer's mailing address as the USNH Benefits Office, 25 Concord Road, Dunlap Center, Durham, NH 03824.
Listed below are two local office addresses.
2000 LaFayette Road
Portsmouth, NH 03801-5673
6 Marsh Brook Drive
Somersworth, NH 03878
- Arrange for final check (or check stub) to be forwarded or picked up. Employee's final check will be mailed to the last address of record, if other arrangements are not made. If they want their final check to go somewhere other than where it has gone in the past they will e-mail email@example.com the following information: Name, USNH ID number, and the address where the check should be mailed.
- If you change your mailing address,fill out the Change of Address Form using the following link and return to UNH Human Resources, 2 Leavitt Lane, and include your USNH ID number in order to receive voluntary correspondence and your W-2 tax with-holding statement. www.usnh.edu/hr/Forms/pdf/AddressChangeForm.pdf. If you do not receive a W-2, contact USNH Payroll at 862-1400.
- Turn in your UNH Phot ID card to Human Resources.
- Return library books.
- Return PCard
- Return keys and office equipment to the department.
- Contact Accounts Payable if you have outstanding travel advances/vouchers.
- If you have been issued a personal authorization code to make personal long distance calls, contact Telecommunications to cancel your personal telephone authorization code; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parking Services will be notified of your termination date. If you have questions in this regard, please contact Parking Services at 862-1010.
- Remove all business-related emails from personal phone (UNH Cell Phone Policy)
For Staff Employees Only:
- Provide a written termination notice to your supervisor. A two-week written notice is required for Operating Staff. A 30-day written notice is required for exempt staff.
- Complete the Exit Interview Survey.
- You have the option to schedule an Exit Interview with UNH Human Resources (applies to Staff only).
If you have additional questions, please contact UNH Human Resources: (603) 862-0501 (voice), (603) 862-3227 (TTY).