WHO IS REQUIRED TO HAVE A BACKGROUND CHECK?
The University of New Hampshire strives to provide a safe work environment. A pre-employment review of a candidate for employment is done to comply with pertinent laws, promote a safe work environment, and to protect the University's assets, including its employees, students, property, and information.
All background check requests are submitted using the online UNH Background Check Request Form:
- The initial job posting will include a statement regarding the requirement for a background review.
- The hiring department completes and submits the background check request online.
- Human Resources reviews all requests. Approved requests will be submitted to the background check vendor.
- The applicant is sent an email from the vendor with a link to submit the information required to process the background check request.
- Refusal on the part of a finalist to authorize a background review will make the individual ineligible for employment.
- The vendor will send the completed reports to Human Resources upon the completion of the verification process.
- If there is no record of criminal convictions, the HR coordinator will send an email to the hiring department to confirm that they may move forward with the hiring process.
- If there is potentially disqualifying information the HR Partner will communicate results to the hiring department on set criteria as according to policy.
For more information about the background check process visit the Procedures pages.