Benefits FAQ's

Address changes are made in WISE. Once logged into your account, select “update address.” This change will be sent to all core benefit vendors with the exception of any Flexible Spending Accounts (Wageworks) and any voluntary benefits. These vendors will need to be contacted directly to ensure your address is updated.  You can find contact information on the HR benefits page.

Rate information can be found on USNH HR website - review USNH Benefits for the current year.

Congratulations on the new arrival!  To change your benefits, please follow the instructions found on the UNH Benefits Change in Status page.

ID Cards must be requested or accessed directly from the vendor. For Cigna insurance cards, log into your account and print temporary ID cards as needed.

Medical: Cigna 800-244-6224

Dental: Northeast Delta Dental 800-832-5700

Prescription: OptumRx  866-633-5874

If your coverage is effective however you have not received your ID card yet, your options are: 

  • If your enrollment information has been received by the insurance company, you can call the vendor for your ID number, then you can print a temporary ID card from the vendor’s website.  
  • If you are not able to print an ID card, you may pay for the visit at time of service, then submit to insurance for reimbursement (file a claim). Claim forms can be found on the vendor websites.
  • It may be necessary to reschedule the appointment for a later date.  

Vendor websites:

For Medical: Cigna -  800-244-6224

For Dental: Northeast Delta Dental -  800-832-5700

For Prescription: OptumRx -  866-633-5874

Open Enrollment is a window of time once a year when employees can make changes to their benefits without the need for a qualifying reason. It is always best to review your benefits during open enrollment even if you are not making changes. There are some benefits which require renewal every year during open enrollment such as flexible spending accounts. Other benefits require approval to continue with election for the next plan year.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) must be elected every open enrollment if you wish to continue the benefit into the next enrollment year. 

Each year, Open Enrollment dates are announced via email,  campus mail and postal to home addresses on file. Open Enrollment is usually at the end of October and lasts for 2 weeks. Any changes made during the Open Enrollment period take effect January 1st of the following new year. 

Changes can be made during the annual Open Enrollment period for an effective date of the first of the following year. There are certain reasons that allow you to make changes outside of Open Enrollment, these are referred to as ‘Qualified Change in Status’ events.

Life insurance updates and changes are done online at Retirement and voluntary life insurance updates are made directly with the vendors.


It’s important to be aware of deadlines for both the Health Care Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account. Please click this link to review the deadlines.

Adjunct employees do have a variety of benefits offered to them.  You can find detailed information here.

A benefit is considered voluntary when USNH does not contribute to the premiums of the plan, however  USNH will provide the opportunity to purchase the benefit via convenient payroll deductions. The benefits are provided at a group rate, and these benefits may be able to continue even when employment has ended.  

It lowers the amount of your taxable income, therefore, you’ll pay less income tax which may increase your net pay. 

The EAP provides many free or discounted resources to employees, your dependents and any anyone who lives in your household. Some of the benefits include, counseling, service referrals, research and classes. Learn about the EAP and all that is available for you!

Requests for leave of absences should be made 30 days in advance of the leave date whenever possible. More information about a leave of absence here.

The first step in requesting a leave of absence it to complete a request for leave form. This should be done at least 30 days in advance of your leave date if possible. You will then be provided with information as to the benefits available to you. The form can be found here.

Enrollment into a retirement account is completed online.  Detailed enrollment instructions can be found on the HR website at:

The 403(b) plan provides the opportunity to save for retirement on a tax-advantaged basis. Eligible employees participating in the retirement plan receive an employer contribution match which can help employees meet their retirement savings goals.

Individuals may use the USNH 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Plan to make additional contribution above the 6% level, up to the IRS limit. Click this link for more information about a Supplemental Retirement Account.

The 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan allows individuals to set aside a portion of their salary on a tax-advantaged basis.  To be able to contribute to this plan, employees must be an active participant in the 403(b) retirement plan. Contributions are subject to plan limits.  

This will depend on the type of leave you are requesting, as well as the benefits you’re entitled to.
For more information visit Leave of Absence or call HR Benefits at 862-0504.

The hardship and loan provisions are only available through the Supplemental Retirement Account, certain criteria apply. More information about Retirement.

You can change your deferrals anytime, however all changes are effective on the first of the month following the date the change was received.

Contributions to a ROTH retirement account are made after taxes have been calculated on your earnings.  Contributions made to a pre-tax retirement account are contributions that are made before taxes are calculated on your earnings.  


USNH provides free consultations with retirement planners. You can schedule a one hour, onsite appointment with a representative from TIAA and/or Fidelity free of charge. Click this link for more information about scheduling an appointment.