Employee Exit Information for Supervisors

Please note:  Information for Employees on leaving the University is available at Employee Exit Information & Checklist

Supervisor Responsibilities

The supervisor of a faculty or staff member who is terminating employment with the University has the following responsibilities:

  • Contact your Business Service Center to have a termination document initiated. Provide BSC with the employee’s up-to-date leave record and resignation letter.
  • Contact your Business Service Center to cancel the employee's PCard.
  • Retrieve University keys and forward to the Lock Shop, Leavitt Center (2-2736). If applicable, contact security vendor to cancel PIN access for electronically secured buildings.
  • Retrieve UNH ID Card and forward to Human Resources, Elizabeth Demeritt House.
  • Verify all employee computer accounts have been disabled. UNH IT (Information Technology) will automatically deactivate all IT related computer accounts on the termination date set in the Banner HR system. It is the responsibility of supervisors and managers to follow account deactivation policies for computer accounts managed by departments other than UNH IT. More information can be found online on the IT Account Deactivation page.
  • Log in here to contact Telecommunications:
  • Contact Banner.HR.office@unh.edu if employee is a Banner HR user to cancel their Banner HR account and provide the employee’s name and termination date. Please contact the IT Service Desk at 2-4242 if you need to cancel a Banner Student account.
  • Ensure that all work-related files are saved to the appropriate IT server, and are not sitting on the hard drive of the terminated employee’s computer.
  • If there is a need to access the terminated employee’s work-related email, ensure that the emails are archived to a .pst file that has been saved to the appropriate IT server. The IT Service Desk or the department IT SLA can provide assistance.
  • Upon receiving departmental approval to advertise the open position, post the job opening at: jobs.usnh.edu/hr. Contact HR at 862-0503 if assistance is needed.

For Staff Only:

  • Receive from the staff member a written termination notice of 2-weeks (Operating Staff) or 30 days (exempt staff), and forward a copy to Human Resources.
  • Have your employee complete the Exit Interview Survey
  • If applicable, retrieve uniforms.

Employee Responsibilities

A faculty or staff member who plans to leave employment at the University is responsible for the following:

  • Arrange for final check (or check stub) to be forwarded or picked up. Employee's final check will be mailed to the last address of record, if other arrangements are not made. If they want their final check to go somewhere other than where it has gone in the past they will email banner.hr.office@unh.edu the following information: Name, USNH ID #, and the address where the check should be mailed. You will be paid for any unused vacation time/earned time in accordance with policy.
  • If you change your mailing address, notify Banner HR, UNH Human Resources, 2 Leavitt Lane, in writing and include your USNH ID # in order to receive voluntary correspondence and your tax with-holding statement (W-2). If you do not receive a W-2, contact Payroll at 862-1400.
  • Turn in your University identification card to your supervisor.
  • Return library books.
  • Return PCard.
  • Return keys and office equipment to the department.
  • Contact Accounts Payable if you have outstanding travel advances/vouchers.
  • If you have been issued a personal authorization code to make personal long distance calls log in here to cancel and submit the long distance authorization codes web form.
  • Parking Services will be notified of your termination date. If you have questions in this regard, please contact Parking Services at 862-1010.

For Staff Only:

  • Provide a written termination notice to your supervisor. A two-week written notice is required for Operating Staff. A 30-day written notice is required for exempt staff.
  • Complete the Exit Interview Survey.  You have the option to schedule an Exit Interview with UNH Human Resources (applies to Staff members only).