Cable TV

If you have gone through the steps in this FAQ, and you are still having problems, fill out a Repair Request (building numbers can be found under Maintenance & Damage Billing), or contact the Catvision Office at 862-2253, or send us an e-mail at catvision.mail@unh.edu

Yes, the UNH Catvision cable system is completely digital. Make sure your TV has a QAM tuner or it will not work!

Some TVs and VCRs require the original remote control to access the on-screen programming features that are used to put it in CABLE mode. While you can purchase a universal programmable replacement, it may not allow you to access the unit's special programming features. Consult your owner's manual and, if necessary, call the manufacturer to order a replacement remote control. 

The UNH Catvision does not sell or give out remote controls.

Check with your floormates to verify that there is not a larger outage, but rather a problem with your cable TV jack, coaxial cable, or television. If the problem is common among all of your floor mates, call 862-2253 to report the problem.
If your floormates are not having problems:
•    Make sure all of the cables are properly and securely attached.
•    Verify that your TV has a built in QAM tuner, and that your TV has been auto-programmed to receive digital signals.  
If all else fails, then try using a different cable. If you still have no service, then call 862-2253, and we will set up an appointment to diagnose and remedy the problem.

First year Sign-Up

It is definitely possible! Most singles are filled by returning students, but there will be some single rooms available for first-year students who request them. If that is your preference, please explain your reason in the notes section and we will take it into consideration. We cannot guarantee being able to meet each student's top room type request, but we do our best.

We would love to try and help you! To get the ball rolling, be sure to include your desire for an LGBTQ friendly roommate in the notes section of your on-line housing application.  Additionally, you can indicate your to be paired with a roommate whose gender may not match your own, by clicking the "Yes, I'm Interested..." block on the Diversity and Gender section of the application.  When we receive information that a student would like an LGBTQ friendly roommate, we will keep track of that request and will pair folks up as best we can. The success of this initiative depends on students letting us know that this is their preference. We cannot guarantee that we can pair everyone, but we will certainly try as we learn of students who are interested in such a match. LGBTQ students and allies can visit our Gender Inclusive Housing page to learn more about housing options that afford all UNH students the option to live on campus with whomever they choose, regardless of biological sex, gender, or gender identity. The site also provides a current list of gender inclusive bathrooms in our residential buildings.

All requests are considered but not guaranteed. If we need more information to make a decision, we will call you at your home. If you want to be contacted elsewhere, be sure to include an alternative phone number or email address.

Alexander, Christensen, Lord, and Williamson are exclusively for first-year students.  All other halls except Mills Hall and Adams Tower West (which are upper-class only) are at least 25 percent occupied by first-year students so no matter where you live, you’ll find other new students experiencing similar first-year transition issues.

We are committed to working with students who are experiencing uncomfortable living situations, and will help you as best we can. We encourage you to seek out your Hall Director who is a live-in professional staff member in your building. Hall Directors work for the Residential Life office and can offer each student guidance, support, and the opportunity for mediation if a roommate conflict exists. As spaces become available during the semester, students will have the opportunity to consider reassignment if they are not happy in their current placement.

Assignments are typically available in early July. UNH Housing will reach out to each student directly via an email to your UNH email address. The email will provide you information about your assignment, room type, and contact information for your roommate(s).

Rooms are assigned by an automated assignment process, which places all first-year students who have submitted their application by the deadline. The process incorporates your individual preferences, but with thousands of students all promised a space on campus, we can’t always give everyone their top choices.


The University Transportation Services states that freshmen campus residents are not eligible for parking permits. Please visit their website for additional information.

Cooking is prohibited in student rooms in the residence halls and allowed only in designated kitchen units or facilities.

Students may not remove or store furnishings provided by the University and may not replace them with other items owned or rented by the student. The Department of Housing will not remove or store the standard University furnishings. Public area or lounge furnishings shall not be moved into a student’s room.

Co-ed living options are available at Woodside, The Gables, and Mills Hall.  Handler Hall and Peterson Hall offers co-ed options in the large suites (6+ persons).

  • There are no co-ed options in Haaland Hall.

Rules and requirements:

  • Groups requesting a co-ed apartment or suite participate in the appropriate sign-up process, following the same general guidelines as single-gendered groups. All group members must meet age or class standing eligibility requirements.
  • Co-ed groups must be able to fill the apartment that they are requesting. Partial co-ed groups will not be assigned.
  • While the apartments or suites are considered co-ed, the bedrooms within the apartments or suites are not.
  • During the sign-up process, all members of the co-ed group must sign an online agreement regarding co-ed living.
  • If a person leaves the co-ed living arrangement after being assigned, the remaining residents can identify an eligible and appropriate replacement. If they are not able to do so, Housing may choose to convert the suite/apartment back to a single-gender and relocate those residents who are affected by the change, or assign an appropriate roommate who also agrees to the co-ed living arrangement terms.

**The Department of Housing may use its discretion to prohibit or terminate any co-ed living arrangement that it deems unacceptable

What you can't do.

  • Remove any item of University equipment/furniture from the room or premises
  • Alter or replace the locks or install your own locks or security devices
  • Make any structural or electrical alterations to the room
  • Use nails, screws, bolts or decals on the furniture, walls, doors, woodwork, ceiling or floors
  • Remove the screens; and you can't build partitions or make alterations to the furniture.

What you can use to hang stuff.

Tape that doesn't remove the paint and wall finish, poster tacks, and removable mounting products.

We encourage students to seek a roommate match by utilizing their class Facebook page (University of New Hampshire Class of 20XX) to connect with others who may be in search of a roommate(s) too or have a vacancy needing to be filled.  Students can always opt for a random roommate during the last night of the room selection process which allows students to partially fill a room and get assigned a random roommate. 

The student is responsible for the behavior of their guests, for damages caused by their guests and for informing guests of hall policies. Overnight guests are not permitted in University housing without advance permission of all students of the room/apartment in which they are staying. Overnight guests may not stay longer than two nights in any given week. No more than ten people may be in a residence hall room or between 13 and 24 people in an apartment, depending upon apartment, at one time, per order of the Durham Fire Department.

  • Turn off your space heater
  • Know the location of the thermostat or temperature sensor controls! (Having heat-producing items near the temperature controls can cause the heat in your space to shut off prematurely.)
  • Close your doors and windows
  • Close shades and blinds at night to conserve heat, and open them on sunny days for solar heat.
  • Turn back thermostats to 60-65 degrees when leaving the building at the end of the day or on weekends.

Smoking is prohibited:

  • Within 20 feet of any building.
  • Inside all buildings owned and occupied or leased and occupied by UNH
  • Forest park apartments
  • University vehicles
  • Entrances and outside stairways to buildings. 
  • Courtyards or other areas where air circulation may be impeded by architectural, landscaping or other barriers.
  • Outdoor entry or service lines, such as for ticket purchases, event admissions, bus stops ATMs, etc.
  • Outdoor seating areas provided by food services

Courtesy hours are always in effect and residents are to respect requests of others for quiet. Residence hall quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 10pm-7am and 12am-8am on Friday and Saturday. Apartment quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 11pm-7am and 1am-8am on Friday and Saturday.

Yes.  Hi-speed wireless connections are available in every residence hall and in every lounge.  Outdoor wireless connections are available at select locations on campus.  View the map.

Maintenance & Damage Billing

Extra Cleaning

Charge: $25 minimum -or- billed by the hour 

  • Removing food from carpets, walls, ceilings, stair, etc.
  • Removing sputum from walls, bathroom stalls, etc.
  • Cleaning food, tobacco chew, excessive tooth paste, etc. out of sinks/water fountains.
  • Cleaning excessive graffiti off walls.
  • Cleaning excessive shaving cream off sinks, stalls, floors, etc.
  • Cleaning hair that was left behind from a haircut done in the bathroom.
  • Any other similar cleaning.


Minimum charge is $25 per bag. Trash can leak on the carpets and create unsanitary conditions, and it has the potential to be a fire hazard. Students are responsible for disposing their own trash.

  • Emptying room trash into a bathroom trashcan.
  • Leaving room trash in the hallways or stairwells.
  • Leaving room trash in the lounges.
  • Emptying room trash into a lounge trashcan.
  • Pizza boxes not properly disposed.

Biohazardous Matter

Minimum of $100 per instance.

The following are chargeable: 

Urine, feces, condoms or vomit

  • Any matter found in the UNH housing facilities. (depending on the situation, may become a criminal investigation with the UNH Police Department)


  • Any blood clean up in bathrooms, hallways, walls, carpet, lounges, etc. If the incident was accidental and an attempt was made to clean up, no charge will occur. Situations that are accidental will be looked upon differently than ones that are purposeful. For example, a person who had a nose bleed and bled in the bathroom will be treated differently than an injury, resulting in blood loss, due to drunkenness or violence.

Lock & Combinations Changes

  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (Residence Halls) $65
  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (On-Campus Apartments) $75
  • Combination Change $25
  • Lost loaner ID card $25
  • Damaged Swipe Card Reader $400-$800

Room Cleaning

$50 minimum -for students leaving for the year and did not clean their rooms

Other charges

  • Spring-loaded door hinge tampering - $40
  • Screen Removal OR Screen Damage - $50 - $175 (depending on location)
  • Life Safety Equipment (fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, etc) tampering - $100

The Department of Housing does not collect nor require a damage deposit when a resident accepts on-campus housing; instead we bill for each incident that occurs. It is our belief this encourages a sense of ownership in the building by the residents and improves everyone's ability to control costs.

Through floor meetings and monthly postings of damages that have occurred in the building. Residents can also read a copy of the Room and Board Agreement. Reminders are also given in periodic residence hall newsletters.

The individual(s) who is/are responsible for the damage is/are accountable for the damage. Every effort is made to identify the responsible party.

The University does not provide insurance coverage for the loss or damage of residents' personal belongings. It is highly recommended that students protect their valuables by making sure their personal property is covered by an insurance plan that includes damage and loss.   Insurance agencies providing this type of insurance can be located online. 

The Hills The Valley The Timbers The Gables Woodside
Adams Tower West: 259 Alexander Hall: 051 Babcock Hall: 084 Gables A: 161 A-C: 281
Congreve Hall: 020 Devine Hall: 078 Christensen Hall: 096 Gables B: 162 D-F: 282
Jessie Doe Hall: 068 Engelhardt Hall: 044 Eaton House: 145 Gables C: 163 G-I:283
Lord Hall: 058 Fairchild Hall: 015 Hall House: 146 Gables North: 396 J-L: 284
McLaughlin Hall: 055 Gibbs Hall: 045 Hubbard Hall: 085 Gables  South:  397 M-O: 285
Sawyer Hall: 052 Hetel Hall: 022 Marston House: 147   P-R: 289
Scott Hall: 030 Hitchcock Hall: 059 Richardson House: 148   Community Center: 280
Stoke Hall:077 Hunter Hall: 046 Handler Hall: 301    
  Mills Hall: 016 Peterson Hall: 302    
  Randall Hall: 079 Haaland Hall: 303    
    Williamson Hall: 112    

Any destruction, theft, and vandalism to University property including furniture, walls, floors, and windows in student rooms and in common areas (stairwells, lounges, bathrooms, hallways).

Extra cleaning above and beyond normal housekeeping services is also considered billable damage.

On your UNH Webcat account.

Login to Webcat and select > Bill/Account Summary/View your student account

Click the actual damage charge to view a detailed breakdown. Only students viewing their own account have access to the detail breakdown

The bill for fall semester damages will be posted in early February and the bill for spring semester damages will be posted in mid-June.

  • Students
  • Hall Councils
  • Resident Assistants
  • Hall Directors
  • Property Managers
  • UNH Facilities
  • University Police and/or Durham Police Department
  • Department of Housing

Mid-year options

Talk with your Hall Director or RA about the In-Hall Process that will take place in your hall in late November/early December.

Any student who wishes to leave on-campus housing for any reason at the end of Fall semester (or anytime during the Spring semester) must submit a Petition for the Release from Housing by the 2nd Friday in November. The petition will be reviewed and considered based on your individual circumstances.  If submitted by the deadline you will receive an email prior to Thanksgiving break.

You must submit a petition if you plan to leave campus housing for any reason including:

  • Graduation
  • Withdrawal from UNH
  • Participation in a Study Abroad/Exchange Program

In mid-November, you can self-schedule a 10 minute Between Hall appointment using our on-line appointment calendar at https://www.unh.edu/housing/mid-year-options.  At this appointment you will speak with a Housing Assignments specialist about spaces available next semester, and directions and information if you elect to be reassigned for spring semester.

Please contact Kristen Bellio in the Housing Office at 862-1754. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible for a space at the Gables or Woodside apartment complexes. Apartment sign ups occur in October for the following academic year, but spaces become available through cancellations prior to the Fall semester. Students are encouraged to put their names on the apartment waitlist, by contacting Kristen, if they are interested. Visit the Gables and Woodside websites to learn more about these communities.

Reserved Housing

Reserved housing means that, while we guarantee we have a space for you, we do not have your exact room assigned yet. UNH has a policy of housing all first year students who request to live on campus, so don’t worry – we have room for you! Cancellations come in on a continual basis and we will make room assignments for those in reserved housing as quickly as possible.

Reserved housing doesn’t mean you did anything wrong. Rooms are assigned by an automated assignment process which places all first year students who have submitted their application by the deadline. The process incorporates thousands of students and their individual preferences. Each year, there are students left in the pool after the first round of assignments are made – those students become the reserved housing group (that’s you). You didn’t do anything to land you here – it just happened. We know that you are anxiously awaiting your assignment, so we will work hard to get your assignment information out to you as soon as possible, promise!

No – you are not alone! Each year, we have succeeded in assigning reserved housing students to rooms and this year will be no exception. You will have an assignment prior to moving in so that you will still have time to connect with your roommate(s) and move in to your new space along with everyone else.

While changes happen constantly as cancellations are received, we try to incorporate your preferences so there is no way for us to predict when we will be able to assign you to a room. You could receive a housing assignment tomorrow or it could be a few weeks. All assignments will be made by prior to your arrival to campus.

When you are assigned to a room, we will send an email to your student UNH email account with the assignment. The email will give you the information you need to learn about your room assignment and roommate(s), if applicable.

Actually, many past students in reserved housing ended up being assigned to some of our most sought after halls! Please feel free to submit any additional preferences via email at housing.office@unh.edu or call our Call Center at (603) 862-2120.

If you have further questions about reserved housing, please feel free to contact us via email at housing.office@unh.edu or call our Housing Call Center at (603) 862-2120. We would be happy to answer your questions!

Returners Sign-Up

Sign-up times are directly related to the amount of credits you have earned as of the end of January.  A person with more credits will have a better sign-up time.  Students with the same amount of credits are then randomized for times.

Well, that's always THE question we get asked!  How can I increase my odds?  The only way we know to increase you odds to get into Mills or Congreve or suite-style halls like Handler, Haaland or Peterson is to be pulled in by someone who lives there.  Or, if you know someone who as a whole lot of AP credits and you are friends, add them to your group, they might bump you up to a higher sign-up time.  But the best way to prepare to get a good space is to make a plan, and then make a plan B and plan C.  Just like the Boy Scouts - be prepared!

Current on-campus residents select their housing for the following academic year during the returners process in March. Students transferring to UNH are admitted and confirm their acceptance to UNH at various times of the year. Transfer students request housing through our online housing application which is a separate process from the room selection that current students participate in. It is not typical for a transfer student to be active in the UNH system in time to be eligible as a pull-in in the room selection process. If you feel that you have a pull-in who is a transfer student and that person has accepted UNH enrollment in time for them to be eligible for room selection, please contact us at 603.863.2120 and we will try to help. If after room selection is complete a transfer student has been made an offer of housing, you will have the opportunity to pull that person into a space if one exists in your room. We do our best to assign students togther if they mutually request each other, but we cannot guarantee it.

The online room selection process allows students to self-select their space for the following academic year.  It's an automated, online system and once it's running, it can't be stopped.  So be very, very confident in your choice before you commit.  The system will ask if you are sure you want to commit yourself and your group to a space before it is confirmed. So, immediately after you have chosen your space, you will not be able to change it. If you feel that you want to request a reassignment, you can come to the Housing Office the next day and put your name on a "wish list" for a different space.

Just like with your RAC, you can sign-up anytime after your sign-up time until the sign-up time closes.  Remember, more spaces will have been taken the longer you wait.  If you completely miss your sign-up window from your start time until after the pool closes, you will have to come by the Housing Office to discuss what options you have.

If your group doesn't get a suite on the first day of sign-up (that's why suite sign-up is on March 7), then you have that evening to change your group's configuration (disband, reform, etc) and move on to Plan B on March 8.  You have a plan B, right?  The next day is the traditional rooms sign-up and perhaps getting rooms adjacent to each other on a long hall could become your new plan B.

We are staffed during all sign-ups so if you are experiencing any technical issues, please give our office a call.  One technical issue we do see quiet often is when students share laptops.  That by itself is not an issue, however, you MUST close down the browser completely between each login instance into the system in order for it to release the cookies and session tokens. 

Well, you've hit the nail on the head, haven't you?  There's always room for everyone, maybe just not the room you exactly wanted, eh?  But you do have to choose something, seriously, you do!  If you want to live on-campus for next year, you need to pick a space.  If the space you picked is not the space you wanted, you can come on over to the Housing Office the next day or so and complete a "wish list".  We work with students who've put their names on wish lists over the course of the summer to get them into a better suited space.  We try really hard to accomodate as many requests for change as we can.  So don't sit and stew, get your name on a wish list and we'll see what kind of magic we can weave.

Partial spaces are actually what you would call getting a random roommate.  It's like you are group of 1 but you don't want a single room, you just want to be randomly assigned.  The random roommate process does have some quirky rules so here they are:

  • The rooms available to be partially filled will be double rooms. 
  • You will be able to see a limited amount of information about the person occupying the partially filled room before selecting the space.
  • The last phase of room selection is this opportunity for students to partially fill a room and receive a random roommate. Visit www.unh.edu/housing/returners for the latest information, dates, and instructions, about this process. If you would like to live on campus next year please be very sure to select a space during this process so you do not miss out! Remember that you can come to housing and put you name on a wish list for a different room if you did not get the space you were hoping for.

Safety, Security & Lockouts

  • Hazardous electrical items - Hotplates, toaster ovens, toasters, electric heaters (unless provided by the University), any item with a heating coil (i.e. sandwich and grill makers and non-UL approved appliances) are all strictly prohibited. These items have heated exposed surfaces which have caused fires in the past. Appliances which can be used in individual rooms, but cannot be left plugged in unattended include curling irons, coffee makers, irons, and hot pots. A violation for these items occurs when an appliance is left plugged in and unattended.
  • Overloaded electrical receptacles or extension cords - An individual room having multiple plugs leading to the same outlet causing more than 15 amps of power to be drawn is dangerous and should be avoided. This situation is usually caused by too many plugs in one outlet. Power strips, splitters, or cube taps are acceptable, but only if they have a fuse or circuit breaker. Power strips may not be plugged into a normal extension cord. The power strip cord must be of construction-grade quality, and it must have a ground plug (a third prong). A power strip may not be plugged into another power strip or splitting device. Extension cords may not be connected in a manner that allows too many appliances to be plugged into the same outlet causing more than 15 amps of power to be drawn. No electrical cords of any sort, other than phone cords, speaker wires, and cable wires, are to be run underneath a rug. 
  • Microwaves and refrigerators - Microwaves and refrigerators require a construction-grade extension cord (generally the same size or larger than the units own cord) or needs to be plugged directly into an outlet or a fused power strip; they cannot be plugged into a splitter unless the splitter has a fuse. If an adaptor is used for a power strip or extension cord, the ground lead must be connected. Refrigerators no larger than 5.0 cubic feet and 35 inches in height are allowed. Microwaves with a power consumption of 1000 watts (i.e. approximately a 600 watt power rated unit) or less are allowed.
  • Flammable materials - Flammable items such as the following are not allowed in the halls: stain, flammable cleaning solvents, butane, propane torches, gasoline, camping or cooking fuels, oil lamps, oil candles, and kerosene lamps. Candles, wax tarts, incense, and incense paraphernalia are not allowed for any reason. Lit candles, tarts, and incense have caused serious room fires in the past. No exceptions will be made for cut wicks or removed wicks.  
  • Excessive combustible materials on wall or door - No more than 50% of a single wall surface can be covered. If you use wall posters or hangings, they should be used sparingly, covering no more than one-half of the surface on each wall (this does not include furniture against the wall). This precaution eliminates excess combustible material which could cause fires to spread. 
  • Bed too close to ceiling - A clearance of 30 inches from the ceiling to the top of the mattress is required to allow adequate breathing space in case of fire or smoke that may enter the room. Any loft or stilt bed that does not comply must be fixed immediately and lowered to meet clearance guidelines. 
  • Items overhead - The room overhead area must be kept clean and clear at all times. Items cannot be hung from wall to wall or suspended from the ceiling, ceiling pipes running horizontally, electrical conduit, lights, smoke detectors, etc. This includes Christmas lights on pipes and anything hanging overhead. All wall hangings and decorations must completely touch the wall. This precaution prevents the possibility of materials falling down on a person during a fire. 
  • Heater clearance, 6 inches - A 6 inch-8inch air space between the electric heater unit and furniture is required. While it seems unlikely, a number of room fires have started due to items placed too close to the heater unit. Halls with electric heat are Stoke, Hubbard, Babcock, Christensen, and Williamson.
  • Smoke detector tampered with - Do not touch the smoke detector under any circumstance. If you suspect it to be malfunctioning, talk to your R.A. immediately. There is a $100 fine for covering, defacing, or tampering in any way with this device.
  • Egress (exit) obstruction - All pathways to room doors and windows must be kept clear. This policy is most often in violation when a resident has to push an item to the side in order to exit a room door or window. Examples of this would be furniture preventing the room door from opening a full 90 degrees, items hanging down to enclose a sleeping space, etc.
  • Halogen-type bulbs - Any style lamp with a halogen-type bulb cannot be used in the residence halls. The intense heat generated by such lamps can and have caused fires.
  • Other - Other violations can range from lounge furniture in rooms to pets. For exact policy explanations in this situation, please see your Hall Director or call Housing Facilities and Operation at (603) 862-4469.

Firearms are not allowed on campus. UNH Police does provide firearms storage, more information can be found here.

Hours of Operation:  Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm 

The Housing Key Service is located to the Housing Office at 10 Academic Way. Should you misplace your room key, our staff is available to assist you by issuing a temporary replacement.  Our staff is also available to provide let-in services in the rare circumstance where you are locked out but unable to come to the Housing Office.  These services will be provided by Housing each business day (Monday-Friday) from 9:00am - 5:00pm.  During that time please visit us at the Housing Office or call the Housing Key Service Desk at (603) 862-2120 to request assistance. Please be sure to bring a form of identification with you to secure a loaner key.

What do I do?

Check with your key desk located in Stoke Hall, Devine Hall, Christensen Hall, Gables B building, Woodsides Community Building, and the Forest Park office.

What if the key desk is closed/I can’t make it there?

Each student is allowed one complimentary let-in over the course of the academic year (regardless of whether it is provided by Housing or Police Support Services).  Call (603) 862-1427. You must wait by your room and provide some form of ID. (If you left your ID in your room it can be shown once your door is unlocked.)

Your student account will be charged $25.00 for each additional let-in event.

Lost your keys?

If you have lost your key, please notify the Housing Key Service so that we can request that the lock on your room be changed.  The $75 re-core cost will be charged to your student account.  For those of you living in buildings with combos, resetting the combination to a room will result in a $25 charge to your student account. 

Locked out of your vehicle?

The University Police (603-862-1427) will come and attempt to unlock your vehicle under the following circumstances

  1. It is your vehicle
  2. You sign a waiver eliminating the University Police Department from liability for any damage done to your vehicle.
  3. You wait by the vehicle
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hot plates
  • Heating/immersion coils
  • Electric frying pans
  • Toaster ovens
  • Electric heaters
  • Electric blankets
  • any item that is non-recognized to a UL standard by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
  • Air conditioners
  • Clothes washers and dryers
  • Dishwashers
  • Water beds
  • TV or radio antennae or any other objects that are placed outside the room window.
  • Firearms
  • Flammable materials such as; candles, incense, explosives, fireworks, gasoline, propane, butane, etc.
  • Weapons
  • Motorized vehicles
  • Paraphernalia including, but not limited to, bongs, pipes, rolling papers, etc.
  • Built-in wall or ceiling attachments
  • Pets or animals of any kind, except non-dangerous fish. One ten-gallon tank containing fish is allowed per room.
  • Alcohol (unless 21 years or older)

Safety inspections of students’ rooms for fire hazards and violations will be conducted several times per semester. If any violations are found an inspection report form will be issued and you will be expected to comply with its findings.

All residence halls are equipped electronic card access systems allowing students access to their building by swiping their University ID card through a card reader located at designated exterior doors. All students living in on-campus housing will have access to their own residence halls and on-campus undergraduate apartments.

Each residence hall is protected by an automatic fire detection system that is connected directly to the Durham Fire Department. Upon receipt of alarm activation, the Fire Department immediately responds to your residence hall. The fire protection system is comprised of smoke and heat detectors, sprinklers and hallway manual pull stations. All rooms have a sprinkler and a local-sounding smoke detector. A charge of $100 is assessed to the occupant(s) of a room for tampering with a smoke detectorIf you suspect a smoke detector is malfunctioning contact your RA immediately.

Fire Extinguishers

Fire extinguishers are located in every residence hall. These are your first line of defense in case of a fire and could save your life or the lives of your friends. Do not tamper with fire extinguishers. Eviction from the residence hall is a possible consequence for tampering with a fire extinguisher. There is a $100 charge for resetting a fire extinguisher that has been misused.