Accessibility & Disability Accommodations


    Students by Congreve's quad

    Your decision to attend the University of New Hampshire is the beginning of an exciting journey, but you may have questions about how well our residential facilities will meet your needs. Some of your questions likely deal with safety, accessibility and ease of mobility in the residence halls and apartments on campus. Answering your questions and helping you succeed is important to us!

    Housing & Residential Life partner closely with UNH Student Accessibility Services (SAS) on topics of accessibility in on-campus living. This includes general day-to-day accessibility (such as emergency procedures, snow routes, and creating inclusive environments), as well as the official housing accommodation request process.

    Requesting an Accommodation

    If you are seeking to request a reasonable accommodation for your on-campus housing assignment based on a physical or psychological disability, follow these two steps:

    1. Complete your enrollment deposit and online housing application
    2. Contact Student Accessibility Services as soon as possible

    SAS will work with you to submit required documentation for their review. If it is determined a housing accommodation is appropriate based on your documented need, SAS staff will communicate directly with Housing on your behalf. Early communication with SAS ensures that Housing has as much time as possible to identify an appropriate and reasonable accommodation for you.

    Approved accommodations will be established based on your individual situation. We can meet most needs, including but not limited to wheelchair accessible rooms/buildings, audible and visual fire alerts, single rooms, and electric door locks/automatic doors. However, please note that timelines for implementation of accommodations may vary and may not be immediate. Additionally, approval for an accommodation does not guarantee that UNH Housing has the ability to meet the need. This is especially true for individuals with an approved accommodation for single rooms.

    While requesting an accommodation approval through SAS, you must continue to meet all application and deposit deadlines in order to be eligible for on-campus housing. Registering with SAS does not take the place of submitting the required housing application and deposit.

    SAS is a valuable resource for UNH students with disabilities and in addition to housing they can assist students with classroom accommodations, adaptive technology, writing assistance, counseling and faculty consultation. Please visit the SAS website for more information. 

    Additional Resources