When you sign up to live on-campus, you agree to the terms and conditions of the applicable academic year Room and Board Agreement. You are financially responsible for the academic year housing fee, unless your cancellation is one of the five listed below.
Requests for release are subject to the Cancellation Charge Schedule in the Room and Board Agreement.
To Access the Academic Year 2020-2021 Petition for Release:
- Log in to your 2020-2021 Housing Application on your Housing Portal (below)
- Navigate to the Summary Page of your Housing Application
- Click the Semester II Petition link in the right margin of the Summary Page under FORMS.
- Complete the form and submit
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT CANCELLING YOUR ASSIGNMENT, PLEASE EMAIL US OR CALL US (603) 862-2120.
Approved Requests for Release
- Graduation in December –Housing will verify this information with the Registrar’s office.
- Internship – Internship must be for UNH credit and at a distance that would prohibit living in campus housing. Student is responsible for ensuring that verification of internship is submitted to Housing by the appropriate University department.
- Leave of Absence or University Withdrawal – UNH Registrar’s office will automatically alert Housing when your withdrawal is processed.
- Study Away, National Student Exchange or Washington Center - Must be a University sponsored program. Student is responsible for ensuring that the appropriate University department provides written verification to Housing.
- Transition to Remote Learning (100% online classes) – Housing will verify that the student is registered for online classes only with no in-person component.
All other requests for release from this agreement will not be approved and will be assessed a cancellation fee according to the cancellation schedule in the Room and Board Agreement.
Room and Board Agreement Cancellation Charge Schedule
Non-renewal (including moving off-campus or commuting from home), non-academic suspension, eviction, exclusion, dismissal or termination of the agreement by a student are not approved and will result in cancellation charges or no refund of the fall and spring semester rate shown below in Cancellation Charge Schedule B.
Not approved agreement cancellations are subject to the following charges (Cancellation Charge Schedule B).
|Academic Year Student Request Cancellation||Student Financial Responsibility|
|By June 1st prior to fall semester||$500|
|After June 1st prior to fall semester||100% of fall semester housing fee|
|Semester II Only Student Request Cancellation (not a Fall semester resident)||Student Financial Responsibility|
|By December 1st prior to spring semester||$500|
|After December 1st prior to spring semester||100% of spring semester housing fee|
Graduation, official withdrawal from the University, leave of absence, involvement in University-sponsored study abroad program or internship, transition to 100% remote learning, or academic suspension from the University constitutes the only grounds for an approved release from this agreement and are subject to the Cancellation Charge Schedule A below:
Approved agreement cancellations are subject to the following charges (Cancellation Charge Schedule A).
|Academic Year Student Request Cancellation||If Approved, Student Financial Responsibility|
|By August 1st prior to fall semester||No fee|
|By August 15th||$500|
|By first week of fall classes||25% of fall semester housing fee|
|By 30 days into fall semester||50% of fall semester housing fee|
|After 30 days into fall semester||100% of fall semester housing fee|
|Semester II Only Student Request Cancellation||If Approved, Student Financial Responsibility|
|By January 1st||No fee|
|By first week of spring classes||25% of spring semester housing fee|
|By 30 days into spring semester||50% of spring semester housing fee|
|After 30 days into spring semester||100% of spring semester housing fee|
Semester II Petitions for Release from Housing are due by the second Friday in November.
If you submitted your petition before the November due date (for Semester II petitions) you will be notified via email shortly before Thanksgiving.
It’s not quite that simple. The Room and Board agreement is not transferrable – we do not simply transfer your commitment to another student. It is very important that we maintain occupancy levels in order to meet our budgetary requirements and keep housing rates as low as possible.
No, you will not be released from the Room and Board Agreement in order to move to a fraternity or sorority house. Greek organizations are aware of this policy.
This does not automatically release you from your housing commitment. If you are changing to a part time status student, please contact Sarah Jeppesen (email Sarah Jeppesen or call 603-862-3402) to discuss this change.
Any Semester II housing and dining charges will not be removed from your account and you will still be responsible for paying them.
If you have circumstances that you believe will prevent you from meeting the due date, please contact the Housing Office at (603) 862-2120 to discuss your situation.