Preferred Name

You may indicate a preferred first name that will appear in documents internal to UNH. The preferred first name will be used in the places listed below, regardless of whether or not you have legally changed your name. To change your name legally, go to Legal Name Change.

The usage of preferred first name at UNH is an ongoing process. Additional processes will continue to be evaluated.

Note: Staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health, and financial services; Deans’ office staff, IT Support Staff) will see both legal and preferred first names. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, these staff are trained on the implications of this access.

  • Academic Technology Support Center (in addition to legal name)
  • Accounts Management System
  • Advisee Lists
  • Box
  • Class Rosters
  • Clockwork (Disability Student Services)
  • Computer Labs/Clusters
  • Degree Audit Reporting System
  • Dining
  • Directory Listing (Unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Facilities Self-Service
  • Grade Reports
  • Granite Square Station Mailroom (in addition to legal name)
  • Housing and Residential Life
  • IT Service Desk (in addition to legal name)
  • Library sign-out process
  • Student I.D. ($5 change fee. Submit new ID request.)
  • Student Identity Record (in addition to legal name)
  • Webcat's Student Academic Transcript (Unofficial)
  • Wildcat Advising
  • Wildcat Careers
  • Wildcat Email
  • Zoom
  • 0365 Services
  • Academic Technology Support Center (in addition to preferred name)
  • Counseling Center*
  • Health Insurance
  • Health Services*
  • Hometown Newspaper Announcements
  • Financial Aid
  • Immigration documents from Office of International Students and Scholars (for international students)
  • IT Service Desk
  • Official University Correspondence such as letters sent to parents/guardians
  • Official Transcripts
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Student Hiring Process (work study or student hourly)
  • Student Identity Record (in addition to preferred name)

*Preferred first name may be selected when registering for services.

Login to MyUNH and go to Webcat. Select the menu 'Personal Information' and click “Display/Update Preferred First Name". Follow the instructions posted on the “Preferred First Name” form. Please remember to click update to ensure that your preferences have been saved. The preferred first name update may take 24-hours before changes appear in the system.

If you have designated a preferred first name and it is not used/displayed somewhere you feel it should be based on the information provided above, you may request the change by completing the request process.

Please go to to access an informative Prezi about the Preferred Name Option.

Please report any computer/technology issues to the UNH IT Help Desk (862-4242).

Other preferred first name related concerns, questions, and/or feedback, please contact the Office of Community, Equity, & Diversity at (603) 862-1058.

For additional support & resources for international students, contact the Office of International Students & Scholars at (603) 862-1288.

For additional support & resources for transgender students, contact the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs at (603) 862-5053 or (603) 862-5204.