students at commencement

Applying to Graduate and Commencement are independent activities. The Office of the Registrar processes your application to graduate and certifies completion of degree requirements. University Ceremonies and Events organizes the annual commencement ceremony in May.

Apply to Graduate

Applying to graduate is when a student formally informs the Office of the Registrar of the term expected to complete all degree requirements.

Three Graduation Dates

  • May (date corresponds with Commencement)
  • September 1 (no ceremony)
  • December 31 (no ceremony)

Coursework must be complete and graded by the graduation date for which applied. Incomplete grades in the final semester will prevent graduation.

How to Apply

  1. Log in to Webcat
  2. Select 'Student Records'
  3. Select 'Graduation'
  4. Select 'Apply to Graduate'
  5. Screen: 'Curriculum Term Selection' select the term closest to the current term e.g. if filing in April 2018 then select Spring 2018. Click submit.
  6. Screen: 'Curriculum Selection' displays programs eligible to graduate from based on term selected in prior screen. If program is not displayed, return to previous screen and verify selected term is correct.
  7. Select the degree to file application for and click continue.
  8. Screen: 'Graduation Date Selection' select the term/date expected to graduate.
  9. The next several screens will display name as it will appear on diploma, and mailing address.
  10. Review all information for accuracy.

View application after filing

  1. Log in to Webcat
  2. Select 'Student Records'
  3. Select 'Graduation'
  4. Select 'View Application to Graduate'

Change Application Date

After 'Applying to Graduate' in Webcat you cannot modify your intended date of graduation in Webcat.
Contact the Graduation Office if you need to change your applicate date.

Approximately four weeks after the date of graduation, students may check their Academic Transcript on Webcat. Look at "Degrees Awarded", when the “Degree Date” displays the date of graduation, this confirms graduation.

If no date of graduation is displayed, the Office of the Registrar will contact the student to resolve any issues.


  • Commencement refers to the formal ceremony, an annual event held in May.
    Note: Walking in the Commencement ceremony does not mean you have officially graduated.
  • Degree Conferral refers to the academic action processed by the Office of the Registrar after successful completion of all degree requirements.
  • Must be within 8 credits of completing degree requirements.

Not within 8 credits? You may petition your college dean for permission to participate.

  • You must have applied to graduate for May, or the following September or December.

The Commencement Office will invite the previous September and December graduates to attend.

  • Students must register with the University Ceremonies and Events after applying to graduate.
  • All details and information is available from University Ceremonies and Events.


Diplomas are mailed 4-6 weeks after the graduation certification process.

Diploma covers are given at Commencement.


  • Associate, Baccaleureate, Master 8”x10”
  • PhD 11”x14”
  • JD 14”x17”


Associate degree diplomas
Students must have completed a minimum of 32 graded UNH credits (not including CR or P grades).

AA/AS/AAS and GPA required: Fall 2015 and after:
Highest Honors 3.85-4.00
High Honors 3.65-3.84
Honors 3.50-3.64





Bachelor degree diplomas, includes, if applicable, completion of University Honors, Honors in Major, and/or Latin Honors.
Students must have completed a minimum of 64 graded UNH credits (not including CR or P grades).

BA/BS and GPA required for: Fall 2015 and after:
Summa Cum Laude 3.85-4.00
Magna Cum Laude 3.65-3.84
Cum Laude 3.50-3.64





Graduate degree diplomas
Do not include honors designations.


Will appear exactly as in the student information system.

For changes, complete a Name Change form.

If special characters are not reflected, contact for inclusion.

Mailing Address

Diplomas are mailed to the address provided when applying to graduate. 

Do not provide a campus mailing address.

Verify mailing address, in WEBCAT and select Personal Information.

International Address

May delay receiving diploma. Contact for more information.

Students with Financial Aid Exit Counseling holds or with unpaid account balances will not have a diploma ordered until the holds have been cleared.

To view holds, log in to WEBCAT (Select: Registration>View Holds).

Once holds on accounts are satisfied, notify the Graduation Office at and a diploma will be ordered.

Replacement or Additional Diploma Order Form

Diplomas are ordered twice monthly.

Rush service with fee.

Questions? Contact