Professional Licensure Disclosure Information

UNH Programs and Professional Licensure/Certification Eligibility

The University of New Hampshire offers a number of academic programs designed to lead to professional licensure or certification in New Hampshire. However,  completing a UNH degree/program does not guarantee professional licensure or certification. Eligibility may also depend on factors like years of work experience, professional examiniations, passing a background check, and other criteria.

UNH does not guarantee that its professional licensure programs will satisfy the criteria of professional licensure boards in other States. Some States maintain different requirements for professional licensure or certification and requirements can change frequently. Federal regulations require the University to make public disclosure of certain information regarding professional licensure or certification programs, regardless of the modality the program is offered (i.e., in-person or online). The University provides guidance below but recommends students contact their state/territory licensing or certification board to ensure a program meets specific state/territory requirements.

State Authorization

All States require post-secondary educational institutions to be legally authorized to provide regulated activities in their jurisdictions. Many of these State laws and regulations apply to online, distance education instruction offered in that state. As such, the University of New Hampshire and its online distance educations programs must be authorized in certain states prior to offering those programs to students located in those states.

State Regulations and NC-SARA

NC-SARA Participating Insitution Logo

The University of New Hampshire participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.

The U.S. Department of Education requires that any institution offering online distance education programs to students outside of its home state must acquire authorization from the states in which students reside. Regulations vary from state to state.

The University of New Hampshire (UNH) has been approved by New Hampshire to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).

NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of post-secondary online distance education.  As an institutional member of NC-SARA, UNH may offer online programming to students in other SARA member states without seeking authorization in that state. 

As of April 2020, 49 states (excluding California), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands have joined SARA.

UNH Online Distance Education Programs

UNH online distance education programs are available to students in each state below unless restrictions apply due to licensure/certification requirements. If the program that you are considering is designed to lead to professional licensure or certification please refer to the Professional Licensure/Certification Programs section below for more information.

UNH programs offered online are available to students in the following States/Territories: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia (D.C.), Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Information for California Residents: University of New Hampshire’s online distance education programs are offered to residents of California. UNH's online distance education programs are not subject to approval or exemption by the California Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education.

What is a professional licensure or certification program?

A professional licensure or certification program is an academic program that is intended to (or advertised to) satisfy educational prerequisites for a State-issued professional license or certification which is required for employment in an occupation.

Professional Licensure/Certification  & Online Distance Education Programs

NC-SARA does not cover professional licensing board approval for programs leading to state licensing or certification. If the online distance education program that you are considering is designed to lead to professional licensure or certification in your state, please read the information under each applicable program.

Due to certain states’ restrictions and policies, UNH online distance education programs may not meet each state’s full requirements. This may result from extensive requirements for clinical placements, faculty state licensure, prior program curriculum approval and other administrative policies.

The NC-SARA Professional Licensure Directory provides contact information for each states licensing board.

Disclosure Information & UNH Programs Leading to Professional Licensure or Certification

The University provides the program disclosure information below which indicates the States where the University has determined through reasonable, good faith effort that the professional licensure or certification program meets the applicable professional licensure education requirement for the State/Territory listed.

The program table below includes information about the program, modality the program is offered (e.g. in-person or online), degree earned, professional licensure or certification status and eligibility, and the states/territories UNH has determined that its curriculum meets the eligibility requirements for professional licensure or certification. It also provides links where students may find more information specific to each State.

UNH Program Disclosures


Prospective and current students should keep in mind that licensing requirements vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether a student can continue in the program, meet the eligibility requirements of that state, and/or receive financial aid funding. If students are considering relocating please contact the office of Educational Excellence and Effectiveness at

The University is committed to supporting a positive student experience. We are ready to listen and help resolve any issues concerning licensure programs, quality of education and consumer protection.

We encourage students to reach out as outlined below with concerns or complaints.

Step 1: All Students

All students, regardless of physical location, should first seek resolution for complaints by speaking with the program director/coordinator to communicate their concerns.

For questions regarding student complaints related to licensure programs offered by UNH or SARA-related issues, please contact the office of Educational Excellence and Effectiveness at

General complaints & grievances

Further information about the process for handling general student complaints and grievances may be found in the Student Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities Handbook. Students may also contact the Office of the Dean of Students for advice.

Step 2: Determined by the Student's Physical Location

Located in New Hampshire: If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution's complaint process (Step 1), students may file a complaint form with the NH Department of Education, Division of Educator Support and Higher Education.

Located outside of New Hampshire: If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s complaint process (Step 1), then students located in NC-SARA states, which includes all states except California, may submit complaints to State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements – New Hampshire State Portal Entity Contacts.

Additional Resources for Student Complaints

State Portal Agency Contact Information: NC-SARA provides a complete list of relevant agencies with contact information for each NC-SARA state.