students using ramp outside of congreve

Your decision to attend the University of New Hampshire is the beginning of an exciting journey but you may have questions about how well our facilities will meet your needs. Some of your questions likely deal with safety, accessibility and ease of mobility in the residential areas of campus. Answering your questions and helping you succeed is important to us!

The Department of Housing works closely with the UNH Student Accessibility Services. If you wish to request a reasonable accommodation based on a physical or psychological disability, complete your enrollment deposit and housing application, then contact Student Accessibility Services as soon as possible. SAS will direct you on the process for submitting documentation for their review. If it is determined a housing accommodation is appropriate based on your documented need, SAS staff will communicate directly with Housing on your behalf. Early communication with SAS ensures that Housing has as much time as possible to identify an appropriate and reasonable accommodation for you.

Any approved accommodations will be established based on your individual situation. We can meet almost any need including but not limited to wheelchair accessible rooms and buildings, audible and visual fire alerts, single rooms and electric door locks.

As a reminder, while requesting accommodation approval through SAS, you must continue to meet all application and deposit deadlines in order to be eligible for on-campus housing. Registering with SAS does not take the place of submitting the required housing application and deposit.

SAS is a valuable resource for UNH students with disabilities and in addition to housing they can assist students with classroom accommodations, adaptive technology, writing assistance, counseling and faculty consultation. Please visit the SAS website for more information.  

Additional Resources