Student Information & Fees

University of New Hampshire International Travel Assistance and Insurance Program

UNH provides international travel assistance, emergency services and insurance to all students, undergraduate and graduate, traveling abroad on University-related activities. Some examples of covered activities include: studying abroad on a UNH Managed, UNH Exchange or UNH Approved program; interning or researching abroad for credit, fulfilling a UNH requirement or assisting UNH faculty; presenting your UNH- research at a conference; or traveling abroad with a UNH Recognized Student Organization.

You will be covered only while enrolled in your official UNH program or activity and only when you are outside the U.S. You will not be covered for personal travel before the program/activity begins or after the program/activity ends. Therefore, UNH recommends that you maintain your domestic coverage to insure continuation of coverage and care before the program begins, after it ends, and upon returning to the U.S.

There are two parts to this program:

1.     Assistance & Services—International SOS

International SOS is the premier international services provider, who will be there for you when emergency medical, personal, travel, legal, and security assistance services are needed when traveling abroad on UNH-related activities. One phone call connects you to the International SOS Network of staff trained to help resolve these issues. Services range from telephone advice and referrals to full-scale medical and security evacuations by private air ambulance. The International SOS Network of specialists operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year from their Alarm Centers around the world. Since its founding in 1974, they have performed thousands of evacuations and repatriations.

Accessing International SOS information is easy and available on your membership card provided by UNH, by downloading the International SOS Assistance App, and online at At the prompt for the Members’ website log in, enter your UNH International SOS membership number: 11BCAS000009. The Alarm Center phone number is +1.215.942.8478 and can be called collect from anywhere in the world.

2.     Insurance—University Health Plans

UNH has worked with its insurance broker, University Health Plans, to establish a unique international insurance program with Cigna and Lloyd's for UNH students abroad on UNH-related activities, which works in concert with International SOS. This insurance program is primary in all cases, but International SOS must provide all emergency services in order for the insurance to pay out the insurance benefits. Because of the special relationship between International SOS and the Plan Administrators, emergency management and health care decision-making is simplified. 

Information on the benefits and coverage, including definitions and exclusions, is available on the Benefits page.


All undergraduate students traveling abroad on University-related activities will be charged an International Travel Insurance Fee:

Less than 2 weeks:     $35

2-10 weeks:                   $70

11 weeks or longer:    $150/term

Graduate students will be charged this fee for UNH coursework abroad or study abroad programs, but not for research activities.

Additional Information —  for more details visit UNH International Travel & Insurance Program.