You've completed the application process, so now what?
- UNH-Via: Once you are eligible for and have applied to your program, you will move to the UNH-Via registration phase, with several forms and tasks to complete. Check the Forms tab on your Via Profile to see what's next. Some forms only require a signature, others might require resources and attachments. Get started right away so that you have time to complete them all by the posted deadline. You will also be required to complete our Pre-Departure Canvas Course and attend a pre-departure orientation.
- Program Specific Requirements: Your provider or program director may have additional tasks for you to complete. Please pay attention to the details and deadlines.
Health & Safety
Education Abroad and international travel are high impact experiences that contribute to students’ academic, career and life success. Like many opportunities for growth and development, international travel is not without certain risks. We recommend hat you purchase trip Cancel For Any Reason/Interrupt For Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) coverage. Note that coverage must be purchased within 15 days of the initial trip payment (e.g., your deposit). More info can be found on the UNH Global Policies page.
To support maximum exposure to international experiences while minimizing risks, UNH instituted the University's International Travel Policy to promote students’ health and safety abroad and provide resources to help international travelers.
The UNH International Travel Policy has three core components
All students participating on UNH activities abroad must register their international trip and provide emergency contacts. This facilitates emergency communication and support and provides extensive travel information and tools. The registry is integrated with UNH’s international travel assistance provider and will email and text students when a Security Special Advisory alert is issued.
The Assistance App is an essential tool of the system. It makes it easier to plan for safer travel, see relevant alerts, and connect with a 24/7 Assistance Center.
Provides emergency travel assistance services and travelers health insurance. If students experience a medical emergency or security/natural disaster crisis, need a medical referral, lose medication, or want to consult experts for pre-travel advice, UNH has a fully integrated program in place to ensure students receive expert care that is insured by a comprehensive travelers health program.
UNH policy prohibits student travel and activities in countries and areas that the U.S. Department of State rates as Level 3: Reconsider Travel or Level 4: Do Not Travel. The International Travel Risk Review Committee evaluates education abroad activities, reviews petitions for prior approval, and decides whether to suspend international activities.
Study abroad students on UNH Managed, Exchange and Approved Programs—programs that have been reviewed and vetted—participate in pre-departure orientation meetings that includes detailed health and safety information. Furthermore, all UNH students traveling abroad on University-related activities (study abroad as well as work and research experiences) must complete a series of professionally developed, student-specific, health, safety, and security eLearning modules. This Training Hub has a variety of other topical modules that students may access and review.
Students’ health and safety is multifaceted and a shared responsibility among students, their families, the program provider, UNH, and in-country service providers. UNH, for its part, has a provided an array of services and tools to support student safety. Ultimately, though, students are the chief executives of their own lives and their own health and safety. With the agency that comes with travel, students are responsible for making good decisions—day, night, weekends and breaks—and utilizing the tools and technology at their fingertips.
Families and loved ones can review information on the Parents Page to learn more about how to support their students’ wellness abroad. We encourage you to read the Parent’s Guidebook there that contains information on everything from money matters to health and safety while abroad.
Below is a list of additional health and safety resources to help in planning an experience abroad.
- UNH Travel Clinic for travel health advice and reduced rates on many immunizations.
- Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP)
- UNH Information Technology Security & Preparedness
- Department of State international travel information
- Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- U.S. State Department’s role in a crisis
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Travelers’ Health
- The Travel Safety Reference Guide published by the U.S State Department Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) provides comprehensive and easy checklists and information about a variety of travelers issues.
- FBI Safety and Security for U.S. Students Traveling Abroad brochure
- Safety Abroad First Educational Travel Information (SAFETI)
- World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system and provides country-specific health information and resources for international travel and health.
International Travel Registry
Registering your international, UNH-related travel enrolls you in the International SOS Travel Assistance and Insurance program and facilitates communication and support in the event of an emergency abroad.
It is mandatory for all UNH students, faculty and staff traveling abroad for a UNH-related activity to register their international travel.
Download the UNH International Travel Card that contains important emergency contact numbers, membership information and website links.
Registering your trip is a two-step process
#1 Create a MyTrips Profile (or update an existing one)
- Click on the Log In button below and select New User?
- Use your....@unh.edu email address as the Username.
- If you are a sponsored traveler or accepted study abroad program participant without a UNH email address, register with the email address you have on file with your sponsoring department or program.
- Download instructions on how to Create a Profile.
#2 Register a Trip
- Option A - Email Forwarding
- Works only if you first created your MyTrips profile.
- Must use the SAME email address that serves as your MyTrips Username.
- Forward your itinerary confirmation email, without any editing, that you receive from the airline, hotel or travel booking site to: UNHTravel@itinerary.internationalsos.com.
- Sign back into MyTrips to complete additional required fields and add additional travel details (accommodation, train, ground transport).
- Troubleshoot by downloading Email Forwarding Instructions and FAQ
- Option B - Manual Entry
Trip Emails & Alerts
- Pre-Trip Advisory
- Will come from UNH Global Education Center <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Subject header is “Important information for your UNH trip to…”
- It is important that you review these carefully and comply with any directives that might be embedded within this email.
- If you do not receive it within a few hours, check your junk mail folder. Move it back to your inbox to insure you receive future communication.
- Automatic Pushed Alerts
- Travelers that register a trip and include flight information (it is crucial to enter complete flight itineraries, including return trips), will now automatically receive real-time Alert emails directly from ISOS regarding destination countries.
- These will stop when the registered trip concludes.
International SOS Assistance App
- To watch a preview video and download the app, visit app.internationalsos.com from your smartphone's browser.
- When you register/login, you must use your UNH email address.
- Refer to the Assistance App Version 7 User Guide for help and instructional videos.
UNH International Travel Assistance & Insurance Fee (2021-2022)
- Less than 2 weeks: $35
- Between 2 - 10 weeks: $70
- Semesterprograms: $150
If you have any technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a department or unit who would like to be trained on MyTrips we can come to you. Please contact us to schedule a training.