Education Abroad FAQ

Planning to Study Abroad

You may begin planning for your study abroad experience at any time; it is never too early. If you have a major that has many requirements that must be completed on campus, all the more important to plan ahead for study abroad. Some majors recommend that students go abroad during a particular semester during their time at UNH; you should check with your advisor. The actual application and registration for study abroad takes place at the start of the semester before you travel. UNH offers you an incredibly wide variety of study options; give yourself the time to fully consider them.

Studying abroad does not have to be a financial burden to you or your family. Comparing programs and types of programs, applying for scholarships, and making sure that your program integrates with your major and graduation plans will help ensure that your experience is academically and financially appropriate for you.

Faculty-Led Programs (formerly UNH-Managed) charge UNH tuition plus program fees. You will also be charged UNH mandatory Study Abroad fees. The program fees vary by location, depending on the nature of the program and cost of living in the host country. Typically, the fees include some combination of housing, meals, extra-curricular activities, and program requirements. These fees will be fully explained in the program materials. If you have any questions, contact the Program Assistant or Faculty Director.

UNH Exchange Programs charge UNH tuition as well as the UNH mandatory Study Abroad fees, which will be billed to your Webcat account. Students will pay the cost of room and board directly to the exchange partner university abroad.

Partner Programs (formerly called UNH Approved programs): Costs vary significantly and are paid directly to the study abroad provider. The study abroad program provider will send an invoice directly to you; you are responsible for organizing full payment directly to the provider. The study abroad program provider fee may or may not include a wide array of items such as tuition, course fees, room, board, sponsored field trips/excursions, insurance and/or international airfare. Be sure to read the fine print to know exactly what is included and what is not included in the program fee so that you can budget for and are prepared to cover all necessary expenses. You will fill out an Estimated Expense Form in UNH-Via to help you keep track of this information in one place and to provide the UNH Financial Aid Office with the information they need. Additionally, UNH will bill the UNH mandatory Study Abroad fees to your account. Please refer to the financing page to learn more about managing the costs of studying abroad.

UNH currently allows federal, state, and institutional aid (except College Work Study) to transfer for all approved study away programs.

Use your financial aid

UNH allows federal, state, and institutional aid — except work study — to transfer for all study abroad and study away programs. The cost of studying abroad may be greater than attending UNH; if so, we will increase your cost of attendance which will allow for additional borrowing in either parent or student name. If the cost of your program is less than what you would experience at UNH, your financial aid may be reduced.

Students should call the Financial Aid office at (603) 862-3600 to learn how this applies to their individual aid package and check the UNH Financial Aid website for more information. If you currently receive aid under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and are interested in studying abroad, please read this fact sheet and contact UNH Military & Veterans Services.

Students should contact the Financial Aid office (tel. 603-862-3600) to learn how this applies to their individual aid package and check the UNH Financial Aid website for more information. Because each student’s financial aid package is unique, you will need to work directly with the UNH Financial Aid Office to learn how your financial aid will apply.

UNH-Via is an online study abroad portal for UNH students. Here you can search, apply to, and complete forms for UNH study abroad programs all in one secure place. Students should start by creating an account and building a profile which will match you with programs that fit your profile criteria. You can "favorite" programs to save the ones you find most intriguing. Your account will have sections for applications, forms, and messages as well as keep you apprised of your status and where you are in the process.

If you are having problems using your UNH credentials to login (UNH username/password), call the UNH IT Service Desk at (603) 862-4242 (7:30-5:00, M-F). Once you’re in UNH-Via and you have questions, email or call (603) 862-2398 (8:00-4:30, M-F).

Applying to Study Abroad

Faculty-Led Programs (formerly called UNH-Managed): Students work directly with UNH departments and faculty directors, and study abroad with groups of predominantly UNH students. All academic and co-curricular experiences are administered by UNH faculty either on-site or from Durham/Manchester. These programs are offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters, as well as faculty-led, short-term programs during the January term and spring break. You will pay UNH tuition, mandatory UNH study abroad fees, and generally a program fee. 

UNH Exchange programs: Also known as reciprocal student exchanges, students directly enroll in select affiliate institutions abroad. Exchange programs tend to be more independent, full-immersion experiences because participants are treated like regularly matriculated students. All courses, programs and services are administered and delivered by the host institution abroad. UNH Exchange programs are offered for the fall and spring semesters. You will pay UNH tuition, as well as the mandatory UNH study abroad fees. 

Partner Programs (formerly called UNH-Approved): These programs are developed, managed, and delivered by professional third-party providers or universities abroad. They have met UNH criteria as determined by the UNH University Committee on Study Abroad. Students can study abroad on these programs for the fall, spring or summer semesters. Instead of paying UNH tuition, you will pay a program fee directly to the provider; it includes foreign tuition and housing, and sometimes excursions and even meal plans. At UNH, you will be charged the mandatory study abroad fees.

All students must meet the UNH and the program’s application deadline. Faculty-led programs have their own deadlines.

For Partner and Exchange programs, the Global Education application deadline is:

  • September 25 for Spring and J-Term programs
  • March 5 for Summer and Fall programs

Some programs have earlier application deadlines! Students enrolling in Partner Programs or Exchange programs must meet a second deadline for completing and submitting UNH registration paperwork.

In UNH-Via, find the program that you wish to apply to. Click on APPLY. This initiates the UNH Study Away Eligibility process. Then refer to your UNH-Via account Forms section for a complete list of documents that must be submitted after having applied to a study abroad program.

If you cannot find a program that meets your academic requirements, there are two remaining options: (1) petition to Global Education to have a non-approved program granted a Study Abroad One-time Approval or (2) officially withdraw from UNH for the term abroad and petition to transfer the credit after the program concludes. Please use the Individual Study Abroad Policy page and meet with a study abroad advisor to start this process.

Our large variety of programs ensures that students can take classes abroad for nearly every major and minor, including engineering, sciences, and business. Please note that much will depend on your individual academic plan, what courses you have already taken and what additional requirements remain to be fulfilled.

Student Conduct

The Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities outline the expectations (rules) that UNH has for its community members. More information can be found on the Student Life website.

Yes. The UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities apply to all persons who have a continuing relationship with the University of New Hampshire regardless of where learning occurs.

By electing to participate in a UNH approved, exchange or managed program, you must abide by the host institution rules and the laws governing the host country and to uphold the expectations outlined in the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities.

Depending on the alleged violation(s), one of two processes will likely be followed.  For less serious violation(s) where a separation sanction is not a possibility, the violation may be documented on a violation form.  For more serious violation(s) where a separation sanction is a possibility, a student may be required to attend a formal hearing.  A violation of the host institution rules or host country laws will be applied to the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities and Student Code of Conduct.

Although the possession and consumption of alcohol may be legal in most countries, the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities prohibits, among other things, public intoxication, excessive consumption and consumption leading to injury or illness. In the wake of even one incident of public intoxication or a call to the emergency room, study abroad staff may inform a student that the incident constitutes a violation, which may result in a requirement to abstain entirely from consuming alcohol. Violation of the terms of probation could result in the student’s dismissal from the program and suspension from UNH. As described elsewhere in this FAQ, the hearing on the charge leading to dismissal may be by electronic means while the student is still abroad.

A violation form is a means to resolve less serious violation(s) of the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities in an informal process. The form will contain information about the alleged violation(s).  The student may choose to resolve the matter by accepting responsibility and the prescribed sanctions as outlined on the form.  The form is then forwarded to the UNH Office of Conduct and Mediation where it will be kept on file.

If the student does not agree with the alleged violation(s) and prescribed sanctions, the student will have the ability to meet with the person alleging the violation(s) to discuss the incident.  Once this meeting has occurred, if the student still does not agree with the alleged violation(s) or prescribed sanctions, the student may request a formal review of violation form ONLY if sanctioned with probation.  If the student is not sanctioned with probation, the violation form is final and the process ends.

If the student is out of the country, this process may be handled electronically.  The student would receive an electronic copy of the violation form in his or her UNH e-mail account and any meetings will take place via e-mail, iChat, AIM, Skype or similar technology. In some instances, the formal conduct and mediation process could start when the student returns to Durham.

In an incident involving serious violation(s) of the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities, or in the event that the new violation could result in a separation sanction, the student shall have the right to a hearing to determine responsibility for the charges and impose the appropriate sanctions.  The student will be formally notified of the charges by receipt of a form called an incident report, and the student will be asked to meet with the person alleging the violation(s) to discuss the incident within a specified timeframe.  After this meeting, the incident report will be forwarded to the UNH Office of Conduct and Mediation to start the formal hearing process.  For more specific information regarding the hearing process, visit the UNH Office of Conduct and Mediation website.

If the student is out of the country, correspondence regarding this process will be handled electronically.  A meeting with the person alleging violation(s) may take place via e-mail, iChat, AIM, Skype or similar technology.  The formal hearing will take place using Skype or similar technology.  The Office of Conduct and Mediation will work with the student through this process.

Probation is a written reprimand for violation of specified regulations.  Probation is for a designated period of time and serves as a reminder that any further misconduct could lead to additional and more serious sanctions being imposed. Being on probation may also impact participation in activities such as studying abroad.


A separation sanction means that the student is separated from the University in some manner.  Examples of separation sanctions include, but are not limited to, eviction from housing, expulsion from housing, separation from the study abroad program, suspension and dismissal.


You may contact the Office of Conduct and Mediation via e-mail at or phone at (603) 862-3377.

While Abroad

If, while abroad, you need to alter the courses approved for you to take, you must submit a Study Abroad Course Approval Form online, detailing information about the new courses you wish to have approved to transfer back to UNH.

Your program will have an on-site director who will oversee your safety while abroad. If something should arise, your program director should be your first contact. In an absolute emergency, you will want to call the equivalent of 911 for your host country. Prior to departure, you will be given a list of emergency contact information, should a situation arise. This includes the 24-hour International SOS Alarm Center:  1-215-942-8478 (call collect). All students are covered by UNH international travel assistance and insurance.

Your Academic Advisor will send your RAC number to your UNH email when it is time to register for next semester. You will need to make sure you can access UNH portals such as WebCat, myWildcat Success, and DegreeWorks. Information will be provided on how to access these sites while abroad during your Pre-Departure Canvas Course.

If you don’t anticipate access to the internet while you are abroad, make arrangements with your advisor beforehand; they can register you on your behalf.

Your study abroad grades will be converted to the U.S. grading system and appear on your UNH transcript. They will not be calculated into your GPA. You must get the equivalent of a U.S. ‘C’ grade in order to transfer the credits. For detailed information on grades and credits, see the Study Abroad Policy.

Upon Return

If you chose a Partner or Exchange program, an official transcript needs to be sent to the Global Education Center upon completion of your study abroad program. Depending on your program, the provider may send a transcript automatically, as part of the program fee you paid before departure. With other providers, you may have to request a transcript and possibly pay a separate fee.

Please see your program provider for information specific to your program.

Many students return to UNH excited to share their experience with others. A great way to do this is to become a Global Ambassador! Our Global Ambassadors are peer mentors to students who are interested in studying abroad. They also volunteer for UNH Global Education, whether by helping at study abroad fairs, doing classroom and hall presentations, running study abroad info sessions, or being a group leader at the pre-departure orientations. Please contact your Global Education Advisor for more information about the Global Ambassadors program.