Below are the policies that govern students, faculty, and staff in university-related travel abroad.

To minimize health hazards and safety risks for international travel, UNH established the International Travel Risk Review Committee (ITRRC) to evaluate UNH-sponsored education abroad activities when a significant health or safety concern is raised and to decide whether to suspend that activity.

UNH policy prohibits student travel and activities, undergraduate and graduate, in countries and areas that the U.S. Department of State rates as Level 3: Reconsider Travel, or Level 4: Do Not Travel. No UNH credit or transfer credit will be awarded, and financial aid is not available. You can read the official UNH International Travel Risk Review policy in the USNH Online Policy Manual.

There may be instances when an individual UNH student or a UNH-sponsored group considers that there is a compelling educational interest to conducting an activity in a Level 3 or Level 4 country or area and that it is possible to mitigate the risks. In these cases, an individual student or unit may petition to the International Travel Risk Review Committee (ITRRC) for prior approval.

Who Must Apply to ITRRC?

If the destination is at a Level 3 or 4 and the answer to any of the following questions is "yes," ITRRC approval is required prior to travel:

  • Is the activity for credit?
  • Will the activity fulfill a degree requirement?
  • Is the activity financially supported, in any way, by UNH?
  • Is the activity supervised, led, arranged, OR somehow sponsored by an UNH department or faculty or staff member?
  • Is the activity supervised, led, arranged, OR somehow sponsored by a University office, organization (band, athletic team, etc.) or by a UNH Recognized Student Organization?
  • Does the travel occur within the UNH related program/activity dates?
    • This policy applies to individual, free-time travel within the official dates of the program/activity.

Student Petition



Suspending an Education Abroad Activity

The International Travel Risk Review Committee (ITRRC) evaluates student travel and education abroad activities when a significant health or safety concern is raised and decides whether to suspend that international activity. ITRRC may decide to suspend an education abroad activity before a program starts or while it is in progress. The committee will determine whether to suspend an education abroad activity based on the ITRRC Review Criteria.

This health or safety concern may arise from a variety of sources, including: U.S. Department of State, governmental or non-governmental health organizations, risk assessments from travel assistance providers, UNH faculty and staff with an expertise in the area, on-site staff officials, international education organizations or other indicators of potential or emergent health or safety threats.

In emergency situations where it is impractical for the International Travel Risk Review Committee (ITRRC) to meet, the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Associate Vice Provost for International Programs may take immediate steps to have students removed from a country, region or area. Individual UNH-sponsored program staff also may take immediate steps to remove students from a country, region or area in emergency circumstances without prior action by the committee. The individual program director or designee will notify the Committee within 24 hours of any such emergency action.

Registering your international, UNH-related travel enrolls you in the International SOS Travel Assistance and Insurance program and facilitates communication and support in the event of an emergency abroad.

It is mandatory for all UNH students, faculty and staff traveling abroad for a UNH-related activity to register their international travel. 

Download the UNH International Travel Card that contains important emergency contact numbers, membership information and website links.

Registering your trip is a two-step process:

#1 Create a MyTrips Profile (or update an existing one)

  • Click on the Log In button below and select New User?
  • Use your....@unh.edu email address as the Username.
    • If you are a sponsored traveler or accepted study abroad program participant without a UNH email address, register with the email address you have on file with your sponsoring department or program.
  • Download instructions on how to Create a Profile.


#2 Register a Trip

  • Option A - Email Forwarding
    1. Works only if you first created your MyTrips profile.
    2. Must use the SAME email address that serves as your MyTrips Username.
    3. Forward your itinerary confirmation email, without any editing, that you receive from the airline, hotel or travel booking site to: UNHTravel@itinerary.internationalsos.com.
    4. Sign back into MyTrips to complete additional required fields and add additional travel details (accommodation, train, ground transport).
    5. Troubleshoot by downloading Email Forwarding Instructions and FAQ
  • Option B - Manual Entry
    1. Sign back into MyTrips and select Create New Trip.
    2. Enter trip details.
    3. Click the Save button every time you complete a section.
    4. Remember to update this information if your travel plans change during your trip.
    5. Troubleshoot by downloading Registering Your Trip Instructions or User Guide.

Trip Emails & Alerts

  • Pre-Trip Advisory
    • Will come from UNH Global Education Center <online@internationalsos.com>.
    • Subject header is “Important information for your UNH trip to…”
    • It is important that you review these carefully and comply with any directives that might be embedded within this email.
    • If you do not receive it within a few hours, check your junk mail folder. Move it back to your inbox to insure you receive future communication.
  • Automatic Pushed Alerts
    • Travelers that register a trip and include flight information (it is crucial to enter complete flight itineraries, including return trips), will now automatically receive real-time Alert emails directly from ISOS regarding destination countries.
    • These will stop when the registered trip concludes.

International SOS Assistance App

  • To watch a preview video and download the app, visit app.internationalsos.com from your smartphone's browser.
  • When you register/login, you must use your UNH email address.
  • Refer to the Assistance App Version 7 User Guide for help and instructional videos. 

Technical Support

If you have any technical difficulties, please contact onlinehelp@internationalsos.com; or call ISOS +1 646-259-0477.


If you have a department or unit who would like to be trained on MyTrips we can come to you. Please contact us to schedule a training.

To study abroad/away, you must download the Study Away Eligibility Form in your UNH-Via application, fill it out and email it to the Dean’s Office of your College the semester prior to studying abroad or away (some UNH faculty-led programs may require you to do this earlier). The eligibility form certifies that you meet the basic UNH Study Away Eligibility policy criteria. It does not determine eligibility to any specific program. Programs have varying application requirements. Individual programs may have higher GPA or additional eligibility requirements. Check the requirements of the program you are interested in before applying.

The UNH Study Away Eligibility criteria are:

  • Be in good standing with UNH Community Standards at the time of application and throughout the study abroad or study away program.
    • A student who is on probation, regardless of the underlying violation, must successfully petition through the Academic Standards and Advising Committee (ASAC) for permission to participate.
    • A student who has had a violation in the past may still need to petition. Petitions are available from the UNH Registrar's Office website.
  • Have the required minimum GPA and credits:
    • UNH Managed Programs:
      • Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of application and at the time of departure.
      • Earned at least 12 credit hours at UNH at the baccalaureate level at the time of application.
    • UNH Approved and Exchange Programs: 
      • Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application and at the time of departure.
      • Will have earned at least 32 credit hours at the time of departure (12 of which at UNH at Baccalaureate level).
      • Have a declared major at the time of application.

Eligibility for Thompson School of Applied Science:

Students enrolled in the degree programs of the Thompson School of Applied Science (a division of COLSA) may participate in approved study abroad programs appropriate for two-year degree candidates. TSAS students must meet the following eligibility criteria at the time of application and throughout their time abroad:

  • 32 credits earned at the time of departure. At least 12 of these credits must have been earned at UNH at the associate degree level.
  • A minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application and at the time of departure. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
  • Be in good standing with the UNH Student Conduct System (information online at http://www.unh.edu/ocm/).

TSAS transfer students into UNH must meet the transfer students’ eligibility criteria:

  • Transfer students are not eligible to study abroad during the first semester of their baccalaureate program at UNH.
  • Have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application to and at the time of departure for the study abroad program. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
  • Be in good standing with the UNH Student Conduct System.
  • Have earned at least 32 credit hours at the time of departure, at least 12 of which must have been earned at the University of New Hampshire fulfilling baccalaureate degree requirements at the time of application.

For example, TSAS students transferring to UNH starting in the fall, who want to study abroad the following spring semester, would need to have earned 12 credits at the 400 number or greater by the fall semester to meet this eligibility requirement. Students can take 400-level classes over the summer to fulfill this requirement.

UNH Student Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities

The UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities applies to students while studying abroad. By electing to participate in a UNH-approved, UNH-exchange or UNH-managed program, students are obliged to uphold the expectations outlined in the UNH Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities and to abide by the host institution rules and the laws governing the host country. More information is available in the Student Conduct & Study Abroad Programs: FAQs.

Study Abroad Eligibility Following or During Health Withdrawals

Students are prohibited from participation on a study away program while withdrawn for health reasons or during their first semester following a health withdrawal. Exceptions to this policy will be granted only for unusual circumstances by the Academic Standards and Advising Committee, upon consultation with Education Abroad or National Student Exchange, Health Services, and the Associate Dean of the student’s college. For more information contact the Associate Dean of the student’s college or the Global Education Center.

  • Only a course with a grade of C (or its equivalent) or better will be accepted for transfer credit from another institution.
  • Credit will not be awarded for courses that review or repeat those taken at UNH or another institution per the University’s Repeated Course Rule.
  • You may transfer credit from another institution that has a UNH-approved study abroad program. The grade received in transferred course work will appear on your official transcript, but will not affect the UNH grade point average.
  • Credit will not be awarded for language study which is part of a study abroad orientation.
  • A course taken for 3 semester hours at another institution will be worth 3 credits in transfer to UNH. Courses measured in quarter hours, term hours, or course units will be converted to semester hours to determine the UNH credit award. The conversion process may affect whether a course will meet UNH standards for General Education or major requirements. A course must be valued at least 3 semester hours to be used to satisfy general education, major, or minor credit and 2.5 semester credit hours to satisfy Discovery requirements.
  • Any UNH student who is ineligible for participation in a UNH Managed/UNH Exchange/UNH Approved study away program and who enrolls in a non-UNH study away program may not transfer credits earned in that program to his or her UNH degree.
  • If a student is abroad for 8 weeks or more, then the foreign culture general education requirement or Discovery World Cultures requirement is waived.

There is an administrative fee charged to all students who are registered for a UNH study abroad course. This fee maintains a student’s status as full time at UNH while taking courses abroad, ensures transfer of credits that can be applied towards UNH degree requirements, and if eligible allows for application of some financial aid. It also contributes to a broad range of services available to students before, during and after their program abroad. 

UNH TECHNOLOGY FEE (2022-2023): 

$ 107.00 per semester (approx. $ 54 in summer)


Summer/J-term/Spring break/Maymester:  $100
Semester UNH Managed and Exchange Programs:  $200
Semester UNH Approved Programs:  $300

*Students who are continuing on the same study abroad program in the same location for a consecutive term will not be charged the Study Abroad Administrative Fee the second time.


Less than 2 weeks:  $35
Between 2 - 10 weeks: $70
Semester programs:  $150


  • Research-related activities (not for credit): No fees
  • Credit bearing UNH coursework: International Travel Assistance and Insurance Fee applies.
  • Formal UNH-Approved, Managed or Exchange study abroad program: International Assistance and Insurance Fee and Study Abroad Administration Fee apply.

If a student withdraws from a study abroad program, the UNH Study Abroad Administration fee will be reduced according to the UNH withdrawal schedule of tuition and mandatory fees found online at the UNH Business Services site. The UNH International Travel Assistance and Insurance Fee will not be refunded once the student has departed from the United States.

If after reviewing all the UNH Managed, Approved, and Exchange programs, you cannot find a program that meets your academic requirements, there are a few options:

  • Review them again because the options below involve significantly more individual work and responsibility.
  • Formally request to have a non-approved program granted a one-time approval by completing the Global Education Study Abroad One-time Approval Petition. Please see your education abroad advisor for more information.
  • Officially withdraw from UNH for the semester or year abroad.
  • Programs that are less than four weeks in duration generally are not considered for a Study Abroad One-time Approval Petition. 

Students who decide to move forward with Individual Study Abroad will apply, enroll, and pay fees directly to the program provider/sponsor. Students are welcome to use Education Abroad advising resources, but the office will otherwise not be involved with the process. Students who want to know what UNH will accept prior to applying for the program, should complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval form. These forms are available at the Registrar's Office. Upon completion of the program, students must provide the Registrar with the following items in order to transfer study abroad credit back to UNH:

Official university transcript(s): If the program issues a U.S. college or university transcript, the transfer of credit process will be similar to transferring in credit from, for example, a local community college or other U.S. university. If the provider/sponsor issues a grade report, ask if there is a school of record that issues an official transcript. Many providers/sponsors offer this service; there may be an extra fee, but it will make the transfer credit process easier.
If the transcript is not from a U.S. accredited university or college, include a credential evaluation of coursework from an evaluation service. These companies charge a fee for which the student is responsible for paying. Options include, but are not limited to:

English translation of transcript if necessary.


Short-term programs operate a little differently than semester-long (15-week) programs. These programs allow for greater flexibility in selection and enrollment because they take place during official UNH breaks. Additionally, the fees are comparatively lower, but financial aid is limited since academic expenses during semester breaks are not typically factored into financial aid packages.

So how does short-term study abroad work at UNH?

Determining Eligibility

Students must meet the same eligibility criteria for a short-term program as they would for a semester or academic year program.

Finding and Selecting a Program

  1. Review the UNH Managed short-term programs that are offered. These programs are developed by UNH faculty and offer students an enriched academic experience specifically designed to enhance learning opportunities for students in their majors, minors and general education curricula.
  2. If none of the UNH Managed programs fit you academic programs or interests, you should search the UNH Approved program list in UNH-Via.

Enrolling in a Short-term Program

  1. For a UNH Managed short-term program, the process for registering and paying fees is generally the same as for on-campus courses. Faculty directors will provide all necessary instructions, forms, terms and conditions. The faculty director will also post credits and grades to students’ transcripts.
  2. For a UNH Approved program, students will be required to follow all the standard study abroad policies and planning procedures for study abroad, including payment of the UNH Study Abroad Administrative Fee and mandatory UNH fees. Students will apply directly to the program provider and will pay the study abroad program fees (tuition, housing, etc.) directly to the provider or sponsoring institution as well. Education Abroad will register students for the appropriate INCO course, receive students’ study abroad transcripts, and post transfer credit to students’ UNH transcript. Please note the following exception: In general, programs that are less than four weeks in duration are not considered for a UNH Approved program nor are they eligible to be considered for a Study Abroad One-time Approval Petition. However, there are a few, select 3-week programs on the UNH Approved program list. Students planning to participate on a study abroad program that is less than four weeks and not on the UNH Approved program list, should follow the procedures for Individual Study Abroad. See below for details.
  3. For Individual Study Abroad, students will work directly with the program provider/sponsor and the UNH registrar’s office. It will not affect students’ matriculation at UNH and there will be no need to take a leave of absence if the program takes place during an official UNH break. Please note, however, that this option is not available for students who do not meet the study away eligibility policy.

If you live in on-campus housing prior to your semester abroad, it is important that you petition to be released from your housing contract. It is also important that if you plan to return to on-campus UNH Housing after your semester abroad that you fill out the appropriate paperwork.