Money Matters

You don't have to have be wealthy to have an education abroad experience! Make sure to consider the following:

Planning ahead can save you money! You will have more time to save up, you may find less expensive plane tickets, you won't have to rush your passport application, etc. Start your education abroad planning one year prior to your intended term away. Complete your application by the following deadlines:

  • September 25 (for J-Term and Spring study abroad)
  • March 5 (for Summer and Fall study abroad)

Note: some programs may have earlier deadlines!

On Faculty-Led (UNH Managed) and UNH Exchange programs, you pay the same tuition you would pay if you were on campus. On UNH Partner (Approved) programs, you don't pay UNH tuition; instead, you pay the program price to the provider. The EcoQuest-UNH program is an exception: as a UNH Managed-partnership program all students are charged the same amount. 

Good news!  UNH allows federal, state, and institutional aid — except work study — to be used for all UNH Global Education programs. You will be able to factor in airfare as an educational expense and consider the cost of living in your host country for your estimated expenses. The cost of studying abroad may be greater than attending UNH; if so, we will increase your cost of attendance which will allow for additional borrowing in either parent or student name. If the cost of your program is less than what you would experience at UNH, your financial aid may be reduced.

Contact the Financial Aid office at 603-862-3600 to learn how this applies to your individual aid package and check the UNH Financial Aid website for more information.

If you currently receive aid under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and are interested in studying abroad, please read this fact sheet and contact UNH Military & Veterans Services. Take note that items in the fact sheet are subject to change due.

Please visit the Scholarships & Fellowships page for information about UNH and external funding for education abroad. It is worthwhile to invest the time and effort into scholarship applications.

We require all students to complete the Budget Worksheet (below) which allows you to do a cost comparison and create a realistic study abroad budget. It is important to pay close attention to what is included in the program fees (food, housing, excursions, etc.) and read the fine print. What may seem expensive at first could be a good deal. Conversely, what may seem reasonable at first may add up when you factor in all the mandatory fees and costs that are not included in the base price.

Download the Budget Worksheet here:

Study Abroad Budget Worksheet 2023 - 2024

Consider the costs of daily expenses, such as food, local transportation, and personal travel which can vary greatly among countries and even between regions within the same country. Websites like Numbeo can help you do that with just a few clicks. 

You may be able to decrease your daily cost of living depending on program location, which would make studying abroad more affordable. Research how much it costs to buy average things like bottled water, coffee, a sandwich, local bus tickets, soap/toothpaste, and other daily essentials.

The exchange rate determines how much local money is received when exchanging U.S. dollars, and fluctuates constantly. It is possible to receive more or less money for your dollar depending on the host country’s currency exchange rate. Websites like and may be helpful.

Study abroad doesn’t have to take place in an expensive, metropolitan city. Consider living in a smaller city or cheaper region, and visit the big city on the weekend. Or, look at the many high-quality programs in countries where the cost of living is much lower. If Spain costs too much, for example, look into Costa Rica or the Dominican Republic.

The following websites provide some valuable information and resources regarding applying for and using your personal credit card while studying abroad.

Bookmark sites such as Kayak, Expedia, and Student Universe to monitor the price of plane tickets. Typically, the earlier you book your flights, the less expensive it will be. Just make sure to confirm your exact program dates before you book your flights.

Diversity & Identities Abroad

You may find that cultures vary widely in terms of how different identities are defined and understood, including nationality; race and ethnicity; religion; gender; sexual orientation; disability; and socioeconomic diversity.  Check out the following resources to help you plan and prepare for your education abroad experience. 

Yes, you can still study abroad if you have specific dietary needs or restrictions!  Managing these can be a challenge, as products and stores vary from what you are accustomed to in the US. It's important for you to do your own research before selecting a country or program. 

Below are some resources we've found to help you get started.

Always be sure to disclose your dietary needs or restrictions to your program director.  If choosing a partner (provider) program, many providers will have resources on their websites.  Here are some examples: DIS (study abroad in Scandinavia), or ISA. 

The International SOS smartphone app, which all UNH & PSU students are required to download, has information for students with medically related allergies or sensitivities. Students can call International SOS at 215.942.8478 and provide the UNH membership number: 11BCAS000009.

The U.S. Veteran's Administration (VA) has updated their study abroad fact sheet. Please review this carefully when considering a study abroad experience.

Students who wish to utilize their GI benefits abroad need to be taking classes that will count towards their degree program.  Payments they make for the program can only be sent directly to UNH. The VA will not provide payments to third party providers. And as always, the VA will only cover program costs, not travel/lodging wherever the student is going.

Any student with questions about what is or is not allowed for study abroad while utilizing the GI Bill should  contact UNH Military & Veteran Services directly. 

Click Here for information on when the best time to study abroad is for each sport, and Wildcat Alumni profiles.


Travel Information

Part of the experience of studying abroad is exploring outside your host city, to other cities and countries in the region. We provide the following resources for you to research and explore.

In order to travel abroad you will need a valid passport. In order to study in your specific location, you may need a student visa issued by that specific country. Do not delay!  If you do not have a valid passport, it is strongly recommended that you apply for one well before you apply for study abroad; it can take a long time to get these documents in order, and you will need it well before your departure date.

Below are some helpful passport and visa sites with information on how to acquire these official documents.

Starting sometime in 2024, travelers from over 30 visa-exempt countries (including the US) will be required to have a travel authorization to enter most European countries.  This travel authorization, known as ETIAS will be linked to the traveler's passport, and will cost about $8.00.  We have been advised that anyone who has applied for a separate visa (such as semester or year-long study abroad students) will not need one. 

For more information, please visit the ETIAS website.

Don't lose access to your USNH resources while abroad!  Take the necessary steps before you travel to preserve your access while you are away. 

This article provides steps to take before traveling to maintain access to important resources such as Outlook email, myUNH, myWildcat Success, OneDrive, WebCat, etc.  This applies to all UNH and PSU students, faculty, and staff.

All students must have access to an international phone number while they are abroad in order to utilize the required International SOS/Travel Tracker app.  There are a few different options for students when it comes to having a cell phone abroad.

Option #1: Contact your current cell phone provider to learn more about their international travel plans. International travel plans can be on the pricier side but allows students to keep their current cell phone, U.S. number, and be able to make calls and use data while abroad. 

Option #2: When arriving in your host country, seek out an international phone provider. There, they will be able to set you up with an international phone plan directly with them and give you a SIM card to put in your current phone. Just remember that you might need to get your phone unlocked before you leave the U.S. if you want this option.

Option #3: Like option #2, find an international phone provider in your host country but purchase an additional cheap phone with them that has a SIM card. With this option you will have 2 phones that you must carry with you at all times but will allow you to have your original phone from the US that you can still use when WiFi is available. 

We know you'll want to travel during your free time.  You will learn in our pre-departure orientation that you will need to register all travel outside your host city in our Travel Tracker App.  Here are some resources that might be helpful in planning your excursions:

Here are a few apps that experienced travelers have recommend for travel abroad: