There are many factors involved in choosing a University and preparing for your arrival. The information here should help guide you through the process. Read our Pre-Arrival Newsletter.

international students sitting at a round table
international students sitting at a round table

Getting Your Visa

  • Once your admission to UNH is complete and you have satisfied the financial requirement for international students, you will receive either a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 student visa) or a Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 student visa) from OISS.
  • You will be required to present your Certificate of Eligibility, along with your valid passport, the letter of admission to UNH, along with all supporting financial documents (such as: bank statements, letter of assistantship, research or scholarship award, affidavit of support from a sponsor) to the Consular Office when you visit the United States Embassy or Consulate in your area.
  • Make sure all supporting financial documents are either originals on official letterhead or are properly notarized photocopies, are in English (or are accompanied by notarized translations) and show the funds in U.S. dollars or the U.S. dollar equivalent.
  • Immigration officials will inspect this certificate and your financial documents at your point of entry into the U.S., so keep these forms and your passport with you when you travel.
  • Detailed instructions and information will be provided with your I-20 or DS-2019.
  • If you decide not to attend UNH, please contact

You must report to the school whose I-20 or DS-2019 you use to enter the U.S. and meet their enrollment requirement or you will be in violation of your student status.

Your SEVIS record will need to be transferred from your current institution to UNH.  NOTE: This is a transfer in terms of immigration and is separate from any type of academic transfer process.

  • OISS will help you determine whether you need to change your immigration status.
  • However, if you have been offered an assistantship, scholarship, or other type of aid, you may be required to change your status in order to accept your award.

Changing Your Status

Please consult with an OISS Advisor for the best plan of action. It may be best to return to your home country to change your status, because it can take 10-12 months for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process a change of status application from within the U.S.

  • If your current status does not permit full-time study, you will not be eligible to enroll as a full-time student at UNH until you have received a change of status approval from USCIS.
  • If you have been offered a graduate assistantship and your current immigration status does not permit employment, you will not be able to accept the offer until your immigration status has changed.

For information regarding a change of status from within the U.S., go to:  Please contact OISS before pursuing this option.