Travel Approval Policy

UNH policy prohibits student travel and activities, undergraduate and graduate, in countries or areas that the U.S. Department of State rates as Level 3: Reconsider Travel or Level 4: Do Not Travel. There may be instances when an individual student or a UNH-sponsored group considers that there is a compelling educational interest to travel to a Level 3 or Level 4 country or area and that it is possible to mitigate the risks. In these cases, an individual student or unit may petition to the International Travel Risk Review Committee (ITRRC) for prior approval.

ITRRC also may require approval for travel to locations that pose a specific health, safety, or security concern as indicated by sources other than the U.S. Department of State. Examples of such sources may include but are not limited to: Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), non-U.S. government authorities (e.g., Australian or Canadian authorities), University of New Hampshire authorities, travel assistance providers, and international education organizations. 

Approval is required for students participating in university sponsored and cosponsored programs through a UNH academic unit, the Global Education Center, UNH Recognized Student Organization, or other university office.

The ITRRC will review requests to travel to these countries or areas based on the ITRRC Review Criteria. Approval by The Committee will allow use of financial aid, scholarships and other University support, including credit transfer.

There are two methods to petition for ITRRC approval:

Travel Approval Guidelines for petitioning can be found in the right-hand menu.

Petitions are approved under the conditions at the time of approval. If a new travel advisory is issued or circumstances change, the proposal must be reconsidered. If the program or activity is ongoing and the country or area remains rated at a Level 3 or Level 4, the program must be reapproved each time an individual or group of students plans to participate.

If a student chooses to travel to a country or area rated by the U.S. Department of State as Level 3 or Level 4 without ITRRC approval or to participate in an activity for which the ITRRC has denied a petition, the student cannot be registered for any UNH credits during this period, is ineligible for financial aid from the University or allowed to use any UNH funding, and will not be awarded UNH credit or transfer credit.