Cat's Cache

What is Cat's Cache?

Cat's Cache is a debit account encoded on your UNH photo ID card. It provides cashless access to on-campus vending machines, many products and services across campus, and at many local businesses. It's available for students, faculty and staff.

How do I use it?

When you use Cat's Cache to make a purchase, your UNH ID card is swiped through a card reader and the amount of the purchase is deducted from your account balance. The new balance is displayed and/or printed on your receipt.

How do I set up Cat's Cache?

All undergraduate students have a Cat's Cache account encoded on their student ID. Simply use one of the many ways (outlined below) to make a deposit to the account and start making purchases.

Graduate students, faculty and staff can have a Cat's Cache account added to their ID by simply requesting one through the Dining ID Office.

Is there a minimum balance?

There are no minimum or maximum balances, no setup fees, no monthly fees and no penalties for refunds. The account balance carries from semester to semester and year to year.

How do I purchase and make deposits?

Add as much or as little as you want. With Cat’s Cache, family or friends can make online deposits into student accounts using our “Guest Deposit” feature by entering the student's first name, last name and the student's IT ID user name. Cat’s Cache can be ordered via credit card through the following portal:  

Cat’s Cache (and Dining Dollars ) can also be purchased by mailing a check, payable to UNH, to the Dining/ID Office; be sure to include the student’s name and ID number. The amount of the check will be deposited into that student’s account and activated as soon as we receive it. 

Can I get a refund?

Cat’s Cache is fully refundable upon request without penalty, but the entire balance must be refunded at once.

What if I don't spend my entire balance?

After students have graduated or left UNH, any remaining Cat’s Cache balance of $10 or more will be refunded to the student account. A refund of any balance under $10 will be waived unless the student requests that refund before the account is closed.

Accounts of graduated and withdrawn students are typically closed no later than 30 days after separation from UNH. Refund requests for Cat’s Cache balances under $10 should be made to the UNH Dining/ID Office.

Please read UNH policies regarding Cat's Cache and university IDs.

How do I protect my balances?

During normal business hours call the Dining/ID Office at (603) 862-1821 to have a card suspended. Only the balance on the card at the time the card was suspended can be protected.

Locations Accepting Cat's Cache

On-Campus Locations Accepting Cat's Cache

These locations accept Dining Dollars.

Off-Campus Locations Accepting Cat's Cache

These locations do not accept Dining Dollars.

Please Note