Recruiting and Posting Policies
Handshake Employer Account:
In order to be approved at the University of New Hampshire, employer account registrations should include the following:
- Organization Name
- Organization Description
- Contact Name
- Contact Title
- Official organization email addresses for each contact. Registrations with personal email address (@gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com, etc.) will not be approved
- Organization website, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Facebook
- Primary office phone number and full address (include city/state)
Posting and Recruiting Criteria:
Handshake is intended only for positions suitable to students and recent graduates with 0-5 years’ experience (for MBA required positions, 5+ years will be accepted). All postings should be detailed, clear, and comprehensive. Compensation should be indicated in the position and/or description.
All positions must be in compliance with the U.S. Department of Labor, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the EEOC guidelines, NACE Principles for Professional Conduct , state, and/or federal laws. It is unlawful for an employer to use screening criteria based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, marital status, disability, age, veteran, and other protected classes.
The following types of positions, organizations and industries will NOT be approved for the University of New Hampshire and Handshake:
- Commission-only pay structure
- Placement fee based or a financial investment required prior to employment (examples include but not limited to: flights, products, vehicles and equipment)
- Part-time work outside of New England that fall during the academic year (New England includes: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont)
- Home-based for an individual or organization located at a home location (examples include but not limited to: baby-sitter, tutor, care-taker, nanny, landscaper or painter)
- Internships that are primarily remote/virtual
- Campus/Brand Ambassador that require to advertise, sell, solicit and/or recruit other students for services and products for pay or non-pay
- 1099/Independent contractors
- Human subject participants for any type of study or research that are paid or voluntary
- Volunteer positions that are unpaid
International placement agencies that offer unspecified opportunities abroad
International internship sites that are not approved by UNH Global
Multi-level marketing organizations that recruit others for direct sales and benefit
Graduate and continuing education programs and institutions
Cannabis industry related roles (it is legal in certain states, but it remains illegal under US Federal Law)
Third Party Recruiting Requirements
- Third-party employers can be considered agencies, organizations, or individuals that recruit for temporary/contract, part-time, or permanent/full-time positions for other organizations. Third parties can include:
- Employment agencies
- Recruiting/staffing firms
- Contract recruiters
- International placement firms
- Third-party recruiting firms will only be approved in Handshake and recruiting activities if the company is based in New England for internal and external positions (New England includes: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont).
- If posting external positions, the client name MUST be disclosed in the job description in Handshake. Career and Professional Success must be able to verify that the third-party is recruiting for a legitimate job opportunity and has the right to decline recruiting access at any time.
- Third-party organizations and positions must be in compliance with posting and recruiting policies above.
- For further details, please refer to NACE’s Principals for Third-Party Recruiters and Handshake’s third-party recruiter guidelines.
Career and Professional Success has established the following criteria to identify appropriate entrepreneurial employment opportunities required for approval:
- Working website and/or social media accounts
- Confirmed business license and tax identification number
- Paid positions (Equity cannot be a substitute)
If you do not provide the information above at the time of request in Handshake, you will be declined. In the future, if you obtain the above approval criteria, please feel free to re-submit to Handshake.
Internship Posting Disclaimer
The University of New Hampshire posts advertisements and notices of internship and field experience opportunities as a service to students. The postings contain information created and maintained solely by other public and private organizations. The University does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information.
The University of New Hampshire has no formal relationship or agreement with the any of the placement sites and programs advertised or posted here, nor does it have any supervisory or administrative role in any of these programs. The University of New Hampshire does not review, nor does it render an opinion as to the safety, quality, and academic merit of any of these internship or field experience programs and placement sites and in no way represents or acts as agent for any of the internship or field experience placement sites whose notices or advertisements are attached or posted.
Students assume all responsibility to investigate and to become informed of all aspects of the internships and field experience opportunities posted, and the University of New Hampshire assumes no liability for any loss, damage, illness, or personal injury, including pain, suffering, and death, that may be sustained by students in the course of participating in an internship or field experience posted by the University.
Career and Professional Success reserves the right to decline or revoke services to an organization at any time, including opportunities that do not comply with the University of New Hampshire’s, Career and Professional Success’s policies, NACE principles, or that violates any state and/or federal law. We have the right to modify our policies and conditions at any time. If an organization is unresponsive after 5 business days in Handshake, we will decline your account and/or position.