REAP is an apprenticeship experience designed for highly motivated, first-year students in the Honors Program. The REAP experience will provide a fast-track for talented students, enabling them to explore topics of interest, prepare for advanced work in their field, and develop a close academic and professional relationship with a faculty member.
REAP students spend 10 weeks during the summer working with a faculty mentor. They explore topics of interest, develop a foundation of knowledge in their field of study, and learn more about the approaches, theories, methodologies, and techniques employed by faculty in their own work. See the REAP Application Guidelines for a list of possible project activities.
Students accepted into the REAP program are awarded a $3,500 stipend, and up to $600 for expenses associated with the project.
To be considered for the Hamel Center’s REAP program, students must be enrolled in the University Honors Program at the start of fall semester; must have completed at least one full semester (fall) of an Honors course at the time of application; must have a minimum UNH GPA of 3.0 at the end of fall semester (minimum cumulative UNH GPA of 3.2 by the end of spring semester); and must be nominated by the instructor of one of their completed fall semester Honors courses. Instructors should submit an Honors Course Instructor Nomination to the Hamel Center no later than one month before the application deadline. Student applicants must meet with the Hamel Center director no later than one month before the application deadline.
March 30, 2020 for summer 2020* (Honors Course Instructor Nomination due by February 28, 2020)
Applications must be submitted to the Hamel Center office no later than 4:30 p.m. on the deadline date above.
*Note: Students planning to apply for REAP must meet with the Hamel Center director, Paul Tsang (email@example.com), before preparing their application―no later than February 28, 2020. Applications submitted by students who have not met with Dr. Tsang will not be accepted.
If the Honors course instructor nominating the student will not be the REAP project mentor, the student should complete the Student Resume form and bring it to the Hamel Center for assistance in identifying a faculty mentor.
Read the Application Guidelines and Budget Instructions before completing the application forms.
- Application Guidelines (complete instructions for the REAP application)
- Application Checklist (listing all components of the REAP application)
- Application Cover Sheet (to be completed by the student applicant – fillable online) *You will need the most recent version of Adobe Reader to complete the application cover sheet.
- Apprenticeship Proposal (to be completed by the faculty mentor)
- Budget Instructions and Budget Form (to be completed by the faculty mentor – fillable online)
- Applicant Statement of Interest (to be completed by the student applicant)
- UNH Faculty Recommendation (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH faculty recommender must complete bottom portion of form and attach letter; letter must be submitted with the REAP application in a sealed envelope)