Responsible Conduct of Research

The Hamel Center expects you to conduct research with integrity and respect for the standards of ethical and professional behavior. Academic and financial fraud (which includes data fabrication or falsification and theft of materials, supplies, or ideas), plagiarism, or deliberate interference with the integrity of the work of others is not acceptable.

The University has a policy on misconduct in scholarly activity, including research. If you have questions on how the University defines such misconduct, please check with your faculty mentor and refer to the following information online:…

UNH is accountable to ensure the ethical and safe conduct of research and scholarly activity. All researchers at UNH who propose to conduct research involving any of the following must obtain appropriate institutional approvals and/or permission BEFORE starting the research. Students who seek funding for their research projects are subject to UNH's review and approval requirements.

Hamel Center guidelines on responsible conduct of research

Human subjects

The UNH Institutional Review Board (IRB) is responsible for protecting the rights and welfare of people who are the subjects of UNH research activities.  Before involving human subjects in any research activities (e.g. interviews, surveys, questionnaires), students must get written, unconditional approval from the IRB for the study.

 IRB applications

Note: Effective September 1, 2011, any individual who submits an application for IRB approval must first complete the UNH Web-based training on human subjects protections.

Vertebrate animals

The UNH Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for ensuring the proper care, use, and humane treatment of vertebrate animals used in research at UNH. Before using vertebrate animals in any research activities, students must get written, unconditional approval from the IACUC for the study.

IACUC applications

Note: Students must complete the Occupational Health Program for Animal Handlers prior to handling any vertebrate animals and must attend a training session that is offered twice each semester.

Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules

UNH has established an Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) comprised of specialists in molecular biology, microbiology, plant biology, regulation and safety, as well as community representatives, to ensure compliance with the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules. Research and academic activities that utilize biohazardous materials must be registered with the IBC prior to commencing.  Contact the Biological Safety Officer at 862-0197 for more information about registering a protocol, risk assessment and training requirements.

Hazardous Materials

Various faculty safety committees oversee the use of radioactive materials, biological materials, and chemical materials at UNH. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) implements the policies and procedures addressing these substances: 

Note: Student researchers who will work with human blood or potentially infectious material, hazardous chemicals, controlled substances, chemical waste, or radioactive materials must first participate in appropriate safety training.  For training and contact information, see the complete Hamel Center guidelines on responsible conduct of research. 

Intellectual Property

The UNH Office for Research Partnerships and Commercialization (ORPC) oversees the protection of property rights.

For more comprehensive guidelines on the research areas above, including contact information and links to online information and application forms, see the Hamel Center guidelines on responsible conduct of research.