Preparing for the URC can be exciting, but also stressful. For many students this is the first time they have ever produced a scientific research poster or presented their findings in a PowerPoint presentation. We want to help you locate the support and resources you need to make your URC participation an unforgettable and rewarding experience. Review the resources for both oral and poster presentations. If you need further assistance, please contact the URC.
Oral Presentation Help
Please consult our Oral Presentation Guide for help on preparing, structuring, and delivering your URC oral presentation. To see previous students' presentations (both poster and oral), you can browse the URC Collection in the UNH Scholars' Repository.
General tips for conducting an oral presentation:
- Keep it simple.
- Use an effective introduction and conclusion.
- Be prepared early.
- Focus on your audience.
Practicing Your Oral Presentation
If you need one-on-one consultation for preparing your oral presentation, a critique of your videotaped presentation, or general presentation help, contact the UNH Connors Writing Center. Make an appointment soon! They are ready to help you.
Poster Presentation Help
THE UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH CONFERENCE (URC) PROVIDES BOTH EASELS AND POSTER BOARDS FOR THE FOLLOWING EVENTS
- The All Colleges Undergraduate Research Symposium: Recommended poster sizes of 32" X 40" or 36" X 48"; posters not to exceed 36" X 48".
- Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Symposium (specifications): POSTERS SHOULD NOT MEASURE LARGER THAN 36" X 48".
- COLSA URC (specifications): POSTERS SHOULD MEASURE EITHER 36" X 44" OR 44" X 36".
Poster Printing Info
In addition, there are several off-campus options available to students.
Tips on Making a Poster
AS YOU PREPARE YOUR POSTER, WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONSULT THESE HELPFUL GUIDES
- Building a Poster Using PowerPoint: A Guide for Using PowerPoint to Present Your Research as a Large-format Poster. This detailed, multi-page guide offers advice on making a posters using PowerPoint. It is also helpful for creating a poster, regardless of whether or not you choose to use PowerPoint.
- Tips on Making a Poster: A Baker's Dozen. This handout offers quick targeted tips for making your poster more effective and visually pleasing.
- Last-minute Check. This handout serves as a list of what to check before taking your poster file to the printer.