Preparing to Connect

If you have not requested accommodations at a university before, sometimes it can be hard to know where to start. Accommodations and supports are different than in K-12 education, and processes might even be different between universities.

Here a few things you can do to prepare to connect with SAS: 

Reflect on Your Condition and the Supports You Might Need

One of the most important things that you can do is to reflect on your condition and the supports you might need. Accommodations might look different for you in postsecondary education and there are some key differences between K-12 and postsecondary education that are important for you to understand. It is important to think about your condition, the supports you have had, and what you might want to request.

Here are a few key things to consider: 

  • Your condition
    • What is your current diagnosis or diagnoses? 
    • Based on your condition, what are some of the barriers you might face? 
    • How does you condition impact your experiences in classes? 
    • How does your condition impact your experiences outside of classes? 
  • The accommodations you want to request
    • What accommodations have you been approved for in the past? 
    • What accommodations have been helpful for you in the past? 
    • Is there Assistive Technology (AT) that you will continue to use? 

Learn About the 3 Step Process

All students requesting accommodations must engage in the interactive accommodation process. This process consists of three important steps: 

  1. Register with SAS 
  2. Submit Documentation 
  3. Meet with SAS 

Learn more about the Interactive Accommodation Process

Learn About the Types of Accommodations

It is also important to check out some of the types of accommodations offered at UNH. The types of accommodations discussed within our resource (see link below) is not comprehensive. If there are other accommodations you would like to discuss, please feel free to discuss the need and accommodation with SAS. We will be happy to explore a variety of needs and possible accommodations. 

Learn More about the Types of Accommodations at UNH

Collect Your Documentation 

One common part of the accommodation process is documentation of your condition. Documentation can be a wide range of things depending on your specific condition. Documentation should be recent and reflect the current impact of your condition. Generally documentation can be: 

  • Recent assessments of your condition (audiology reports, neuropsychological evaluations, etc.)
  • A detailed letter from a current provider 
  • Having your provider complete our Provider Verification Form

A Note about 504 Plans and IEPs

504 Plans and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) do not directly transfer to higher education. Students need to engage in the interactive accommodation process with SAS for accommodations to be approved.

In terms of documentation, IEP and 504 plans can be helpful in understanding past supports, but SAS also needs to know more about the condition(s) and the functional impact of the conditions. If a 504 Plan or an IEP does not contain that information, then it might not be sufficient documentation. Documentation is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and you can always talk with SAS directly about what is required in your specific situation. 

Learn More about Submitting Documentation  

Familiarize Yourself with Accommodate

The accommodation management system that SAS uses is called Accommodate. That is where you will go to: 

  • Request accommodations
  • Submit documentation 
  • Create your semester requests 
  • Review your accommodation letters 

It is important to learn more about how you will use that system. 

Learn More About Accommodate