Documentation provides external confirmation of a student’s disability (as defined within the ADA Amendments Act) and it helps establish the need for protection from discrimination. It is created by a provider and it helps inform SAS about the nature of the disability. SAS uses this information to make the connection to how the accommodations will help address barriers a student might face.
Documentation can include:
- Provider completion of the Provider Verification Form (this is the preferred pathway)
- Letters of support from providers
- Submission of reports or testing related to the condition
It is important to note that documentation criteria for general requests and housing-only requests is different. Please review the SAS Student Handbook for our criteria or contact SAS directly to discuss what documentation would be most appropriate.
NOTE: Please do not send disability-related documentation to Admissions or Housing. SAS is the central location for this information.
What to Do Before You Submit Documentation
- Review the SAS Student Handbook - The SAS Student Handbook contains information related to our documentation requirements, but it also contains much more. It also includes how we will review the documentation and what we will do if documentation is not sufficient. This information will assist you in navigating the process.
- Review the Documentation Guidelines - SAS does require specific information within your documentation. These guidelines, which can be found in the SAS Student Handbook, can change between universities, so it is important to review what we are looking for in advance. Issues with documentation can lead to delays in accommodation approval. Also note that documentation for housing-only requests is not the same as general documentation. Depending on your request, it will be important to read through the student handbook to understand what is required.
- Consider what documentation you might already have - In some cases, you might already have the documentation you need to submit to SAS. For instance, many students already have a comprehensive neuropsychological report. When that is the case, you might already have everything you need.
- Consider if you need to contact a provider for current documentation - If you decide you need to contact your provider, we recommend you talk with your provider about: your condition, what you would like to request, and the documentation process and criteria here at UNH. To help with this conversation, we recommend you send your provider the document: PROVIDER GUIDANCE - SUBMITTING DOCUMENTATION TO SAS AT UNH. This document was created to give your provider the information they need to understand our processes and it also includes a link to our Provider Verification Form.
- Review your documentation with the SAS Documentation Self-Check - To help you understand if your documentation meets our criteria before submitting, you can use our documentation self-check to match the criteria to your documentation or if you are submitting housing-only documentation you can use the housing-only documentation self-check.
How to Submit Documentation
Prior to submitting documentation, please be sure to review our SAS Student Handbook to review our documentation criteria and the documentation process. The handbook includes information about the processes, what to expect, and outlines differences between general and housing-only requests. It is also useful to check your documentation with our documentation self-check or the housing-only documentation self-check prior to submitting documentation.
OPTION 1 - Provider Verification Form
Our Provider Verification Form is a form that you can send directly to your provider. Your provider can complete this form and it will be submitted to SAS directly. We recommend you send the provider guidance document (see the button below for the PDF) directly to your provider as it will help them understand the process and what is required, as well as provide them a link to the form.
PROVIDER GUIDANCE - SUBMITTING DOCUMENTATION TO SAS AT UNH
OPTION 2 - Submission of Support Letters, Assessments, or Historical Documents
Documentation such as letters, reports, neuropsychological exams, audiology reports, etc., should be submitted directly into Accommodate by logging in and selecting Documentation. Before submitting please review the documentation using our Documentation Self-Check or the Housing-Only Documentation Self-Check. For instructions, please visit our Accommodate Resources page