The SURF USA program offers a $3,500 stipend and up to $600 in research expenses for 10 weeks of summer research on campus or at other research sites within the United States. (For summer research outside the U.S., see SURF Abroad or IROP.) SURF grants may support research that contributes to a senior project or thesis. SURF recipients may not be enrolled in summer courses during the award period unless they receive prior approval from the Hamel Center director.
Students must be at least sophomore status (in their second year of full-time college course work), with a minimum 3.0 cumulative UNH/UNHM GPA, at the time of application. See additional details in the Application Guidelines below.
Application Deadline: March 4, 2020 for summer 2020
Applications must be submitted to the Hamel Center office (118 Conant Hall) no later than 4:30 p.m. on the deadline date above.
Read the Application Guidelines and Budget Instructions before completing the application forms.
- Application Guidelines (complete instructions for the SURF USA application)
- Application Checklist (a list of all the steps in the application process)
- Application cover sheet (fillable online) *You will need the most recent version of Adobe Reader to complete the application cover sheet.
- Budget Instructions and Budget Form (fillable online)*The Budget Form is a Word document. Please save these forms to your computer before entering any information. You may then save and return to the forms later for completion.
- Faculty Mentor Memo and Recommendation Form (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH mentor must complete bottom portion of form and attach letter; letter must be submitted with the URA application in a sealed envelope)
- UNH Faculty Recommendation (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH faculty member must complete bottom portion of form and attach letter; letter must be submitted with the SURF USA application in a sealed envelope)