COVID-19 UPDATES: 1) The AY2020-21 SURF USA application deadline below will be contingent on the University’s mode of operation at the time of application, and also on the University’s phased approach to research activities as determined by the Senior Vice Provost for Research (SVPR). When preparing applications, students should consult the UNH and Hamel Center websites frequently for any updates or changes. 2) Even if an application is successful, students and mentors should be prepared to modify their projects as needed to adhere to changing University research policies and procedures during the proposed research period. Any project’s ability to go forward will be dependent on the University’s mode of operation and the SVPR’s guidelines for research at any time during the research period.
The SURF USA program offers a $3,500 stipend and up to $600 in research expenses for 10 weeks of summer research on campus or at other research sites within the United States. (For summer research outside the U.S., see SURF Abroad or IROP.) SURF grants may support research that contributes to a senior project or thesis. SURF recipients may not be enrolled in summer courses during the award period unless they receive prior approval from the Hamel Center director.
Students must be at least sophomore status (in their second year of full-time college course work), with a minimum 3.0 cumulative UNH/UNHM GPA, at the time of application. See additional details in the Application Guidelines below.
Application Deadline: March 3, 2021 for summer 2021
Applications must be submitted to the Hamel Center office (118 Conant Hall) no later than 4:30 p.m. on the deadline date above.
DURING YELLOW OR ORANGE MODE OF OPERATIONS:
- Students with a valid Wildcat Pass (i.e., students who are on campus and testing weekly) should submit their applications in person to the Hamel Center office. Given limited photocopying resources on campus at present, students may submit just one (1) original application -- no additional copies will be required. Optimally, applications submitted in person will be complete (application + 2 letters of recommendation). If faculty recommenders are not available on campus to provide a physical/sealed letter, they may submit letters of recommendation electronically via our general mailbox: email@example.com Letters of recommendation should be on department letterhead and must include the required cover sheet.
- Students without a valid Wildcat Pass (i.e., students who are 100% remote and not testing weekly, or students in COVID quarantine/isolation at the time of application) may submit their applications electronically via our general mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org Faculty recommenders for these students should submit letters of recommendation electronically via our general mailbox: email@example.com Letters of recommendation should be on department letterhead and must include the required cover sheet.
Read the Application Guidelines and Budget Instructions before completing the application forms.
- Application Guidelines (complete instructions for the SURF USA application)
- Application Checklist (a list of all the steps in the application process)
- Application Cover Sheet (fillable online) *You will need the most recent version of Adobe Reader to complete the application cover sheet.
- Budget Instructions and Budget Form (fillable online)*The Budget Form is a Word document. Please save these forms to your computer before entering any information. You may then save and return to the forms later for completion.
- Faculty Mentor Memo and Recommendation Form (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH mentor must complete bottom portion of form and attach letter; letter must be submitted with the URA application in a sealed envelope)
- UNH Faculty Recommendation (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH faculty member must complete bottom portion of form and attach letter; letter must be submitted with the SURF USA application in a sealed envelope)