There is significant funding available from UNH, the U.S. federal government, as well as private organizations and foundations to help you finance your education abroad. In addition to the options below, please check the Global Education Center Facebook page regularly for the most up-to-date postings.
UNH Global Education Abroad Awards - The Global Education Center manages a variety of scholarship programs and coordinates an awards process in both fall and spring semesters. Many of the scholarships focus generally on financial need or academic merit. However, a few have specific eligibility requirements, such as the Diversity Abroad Award, Foley Jackson Scholarship, and Yale Maria for study in the Middle East.
UNH B. Thomas Trout Scholarship - This award established in Professor Trout's honor is offered by the College of Liberal Arts (COLA). It offers financial assistance to undergraduate NH residents who are majors within COLA applying to a UNH-managed study abroad program within COLA.
UNH International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) - UNH undergraduate students from all fields of study may apply in the spring of their sophomore year or the fall of their junior year for substantial grants to conduct nine-week summer research projects abroad. Following a junior year of preparation, students conduct their research during the summer preceding their senior year.
UNH Emeriti Council Student International Service Initiative Grant (EC SISI) - This grant, initiated by S. Melvin Rines '47, supports opportunities for officially recognized student service organizations to bring their knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise to solve real world problems in disadvantaged areas of the world. Groups must have an advisor and raise on their own a portion of the funds needed for the project.
The UNH Office of National Fellowships helps students find and apply for prestigious external funding opportunities such as the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, Critical Language Scholarships, Fulbright, DAAD (German Academic Exchange Program), and Bridging Scholarship (Japan).
Stanley A. Hamel Traveling Fellowship – Stanley A. Hamel has donated money to the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation for the purpose of establishing a Traveling Fellowship, which will be coordinated by the UNH Office of National Fellowships. The fellowship provides approximately $3,800 for travel in Europe to graduating seniors, or recent graduates.
UNH-Approved study abroad programs – Many providers offer their own scholarships. Be sure to check their eligibility requirements and application process.
Additional Funding Opportunities for Undergraduate Study Abroad:
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan - Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ)
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Freeman-ASIA Awards for Study in Asia
- Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships
- Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards - New Zealand
- Hispanic Study Abroad Scholars
- IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants
- ItaliaRail Scholarship Program
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- The Humanity in Action Fellowship
- The Institute for International Public Policy Fellows Program
- Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Rotary International Scholarship
- The Sara’s Wish Scholarship Fund
- South Korea Scholarship Program
- St. Andrew's Society Scholarship
- Swedish Women’s Educational Association International
- Taiwan-United States Sister Relations Alliance (TUSA) Summer Scholarship Program
- UK Fulbright Summer Institutes
Search Engines and Resources
Scholarship database search
The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
Scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals
A guide of resources including financial aid publications, scholarship search engines, vocational rehabilitation and SSI information and international and local organizations offering scholarships, grants, and fellowships
Finding Ways to Finance Study Abroad
Financial Aid Resource Publications from the U.S. Department of Education
Study Abroad Financial Aid and Grants Website
Information and Scholarship for Multicultural Students
A list of scholarships, fellowships, articles, and funding ideas