What it is
- A pitch is a brief, concise, carefully planned, and well-practiced description that summarizes your skills, interests, and goals
- Your pitch is something you could deliver to a person to briefly summarize your story and engage their interest in working/sharing with you or supporting your job/internship search
- The pitch should be concise and share your the information & story in no more than 60 seconds
What to include
- What you want them to know about you
- What distinguishes you from other students
- What your immediate goals are
- A question or hook to start the conversation
Creating a Pitch Worksheet
- Prior Relevant Experience (field work, paid or unpaid experiences, civic engagement, leadership experiences, etc.):
- What are you particularly good at – relevant skills:
- Goal (short-term & focused):
Pull the above information together into a script, such as:
Hello, my name is _____. I’m pursuing my degree in _____ at UNH. My career interests include _____ and I would someday love to _____. This year I am looking for a _____ where I can gain a well-rounded experience and also get involved in _____. Can you tell me about your _____ and how your organization is successful doing _____?
Draft out your pitch and practice it with a friend/roommate/family/mentor.