Summer Career Academy
We know that many jobs, internships and summer gigs have been postponed or cancelled because of COVID-19. But that doesn't have to spell the end of your summer career goals. Instead, you can sign up now for our FREE, online Summer Career Academy. Starting June 1, you'll spend 30-60 minutes a day, five days a week, building in-demand skills and completing essential career to-dos.
What is it?
The Summer Career Academy is a free, online, 6-week program that helps you cultivate skills that many employers look for in job and internship applicants, such as digital marketing, data analytics & visualization, and coding. You also complete essential career-related tasks, such as building a stand-out resume and LinkedIn profile. This is NOT a for-credit course
When is it?
Monday, June 1 - Friday, July 10, 2020
- It's FREE and online.
- To build in-demand skills in one of three tracks—digital marketing, data analytics & visualization, or coding—using a curated collection of free online resources and courses. Ultimately, these skill will make you more marketable in the job market.
- To finally complete those essential career-related tasks you've been trying to finish for months but haven't had the motivation or time to, such as building a stand-out resume and learning to use LinkedIn. Ultimately, completing these tasks will make you more efficient when it comes to findings jobs and internships.
- To make the most of a challenging situation. Many jobs, internships and summer gigs have been cancelled or postponed due to COVD-19. But that won't stop prospective employers from asking about what you did Summer 2020. And that won't stop you either. You'll be more productive this summer than ever before, cultivating in-demand skills and completing career tasks.
- Did we mention it's free and online?
What's the workload?
You'll complete between 30- and 60-minutes of Skill Builder or Career Builder work, five days per week. Here's a sample 1-week schedule of someone pursuing the digital marketing track:
(Scroll ➡ for full details on mobile.)
Complete at least two lessons in Google's free Fundamentals
of Digital Marketing course
Fill in resume template, downloaded from CaPS website.
Continue HubSpot Academy's free Search Engine Optimization
|4||30||Career Builder||Build LinkedIn profile, using check-list as a reference.|
|5||60||Skill Builder||Complete modules 3-5 in Hootsuite's free platform training course.|
How do I sign up?
2. Select a Skills Track:
- Digital Marketing - Through this track, you’ll build fundamental skills in content marketing, inbound marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and social media marketing. Tools used include: Google Digital Garage, Hubspot Academy, and more.
- Data Analytics & Visualization - Through this track, you’ll build and expand your skills to capture, analyze and share data in any industry. Tools used include: Microsoft Excel (Office 365 Training Center), Google Analytics Academy, Tableau, Hubspot Academy, and edX.
- Coding - Through this track, you’ll build coding skills in some of the more popular languages (C++, R, Ruby, etc.), basics of responsive web design, and more. Tools used include: Codeacademy, FreeCodeCamps.org, and more.
- Not Sure Yet - Don’t know which track is best for you? Select this option and a member of the Career and Professional Success team will contact you to discuss your options.
3. Select a Format:
- Advisor-Supported - You'll work with a member of the Career and Professional Success team to ensure you stay on track to achieve your summer goals (and beyond).
- Self-Driven - You'll receive a 6-week development plan and regular email reminders from Career and Profession Success, but ultimately, you'll be responsible for keeping yourself on track.
- Not Sure Yet - Don't know which format is best for you? Select this option and a member of the Career and Professional Success team will contact you to discuss your options.
4. Answer six more quick questions.
5. Submit the registration form. You're finished!
A member of the Career and Professional Success team will be in touch before the June 1 kickoff to confirm your participation and share additional information. The program will be run through Canvas.