Student Hourly & Work Study Positions

student working at coffee shop in Dimond Library

Looking for a job on campus? 

Part-time and work-study positions are posted regularly by campus departments and off-campus organizations in Handshake (formerly Wildcat Careers)

PLEASE NOTE incoming & returning students:

You have access to log in and create your profile in Handshake using your UNH login credentials (your UNH username and password). For incoming first-year students, your Handshake account will be created within two weeks of paying your enrollment deposit to UNH.

Campus departments will post positions for on-campus employment throughout June, July and into August. Please continue to check Handshake over the summer as these postings continue to go up.

This year during June Orientation, incoming students will be invited to meet certain on-campus departments that hire student employees on-the-spot. In order to be hired for one of these positions during Orientation, you MUST have the necessary paperwork. 

You're also invited to attend the Part-Time & Work Study Job Fair on Thursday, August 29 in the Granite State Room. 

Necessary Paperwork to be Hired

All students must fill out certain Human Resources and Payroll paperwork in order to be hired in a work-study or part-time position on campus.

To streamline the hiring process, it is recommended that students looking for employment on campus bring these documents to UNH with them:

Acceptable Documents that are required for the completion of the I-9 (see below). 

  • Employees must have one item from List A OR one item from List B AND List C
  • Students will need to provide original, unexpired documents for verification.
  • Faxed copies, scanned documents or pictures cannot be accepted.

NOTE: Failure to provide these items within 3 business days of the first date of employment will result in the termination of the current position. The student will not be able to work until the appropriate documentation is received. The employee will need to come to Human Resources at 2 Leavitt Lane to complete their paperwork. 


Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form 1-551)

Foreign passport that contains a temporary 1-551 stamp or temporary 1-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa

Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form 1-766)

For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:

a.          Foreign passport; and

b.         Form 1-94 or Form I-94A that has the following:

(1) The same name as the passport;


(2) An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.

Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form 1-94 or Form l-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI



Documents that Establish Identity

Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

School ID card with a photograph

Voter's registration card

U.S. Military card or draft record

Military dependent's ID card

See more...

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record



Documents that Establish Employment Authorization

A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:




Certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Forms DS-1350, FS-545, FS-240)

Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal

Native American tribal document

U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form 1-197)

Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form 1-179)

Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

Payment Notes and Information

Direct Deposit is recommended and once a student is in the HR system, the student can log into WISE to set up direct deposit securely online.

All new employees will have federal taxes withheld at Single, Zero when they are set up in the HR system. They can log into WISE to code any changes. We will have paper forms as well if they are needed.
State income taxes will be withheld for Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, & Vermont.  State W-4 forms can be completed on line in WISE

How to find On-Campus Employment in Handshake:

  1. Log in to Handshake at
  2. Go to “Jobs” at the top of your dashboard
  3. Click on “On-Campus” to filter results
  4. View and apply to jobs!

How to find work-study employment:

  1. Log in to Handshake at
  2. Go to “Jobs” at the top of your dashboard
  3. Click on “Filters”
  4. Select the “Work study” checkbox
  5. Select “See Jobs” to save the filter
  6. View and apply to jobs!

**NOTE: Work-study eligibility is not saved in your Handshake profile; therefore, you may notice that you will be viewed as "not matching employer preferences." Employers have been notified that this is not necessarily the case, and the employer will still receive and review your application. You will be responsible for communicating with the employer if you have work-study eligibility or not. If any questions, please email

UNH Federal Work Study Program Information

  • Work Study positions are posted in Handshake all year round. For further directions on how to search for positions in Handshake- click here! (Reminder, all students will be granted access to Handshake on June 19th.
  • Work Study Program is divided into two different periods
    • Academic Year (September - May)
    • Summer (May-August)
  • Students must complete a new employment authorization form at the beginning of each period even if s/he keeps the same position
  • Students can work multiple work-study jobs on/off campus at once when using their funding
  • Students can see if they have work-study funding by checking their MyUNH account
  • Students receive paychecks bi-weekly
  • For Frequently Asked Questions - click here!

For more information about Financial Aid and Work Study, please visit their website.