Elements of a Paper
- Cutting Clutter
- Developing a Thesis
- Evaluating Sources
- Guide to Self-Editing
- Self Editing Checklist
- Summary and Analysis
- Topic Sentences
- Understanding Assignments
- Using Outside Sources
- Using Quotes
- Writing & Revision Tips
Grammar and Usage
- Active and Passive Voice
- Active Verbs
- Comma Splices
- Commonly Confused Words
- ESL Guide
- Parallel Structure
- Sentence Boundaries
- Sentence Clarity
- Vague Pronouns
Types of Writing
- Annotated Bibliography
- Book Reviews
- Business Writing
- Creative Writing
- Expectations of Academic Writing
- History Writing
- Internet Research
- Lab Reports
- Literature Reviews
- Op-Ed Article
- Personal Statements
- Research Proposals
- Thesis and Dissertation Writing Resources
- US Academic Conventions
- Writing a Research Paper
UNH Online Writing Lab (OWL) - Online writing assistance available to students who cannot come to the Writing Center.
UNH Dimond Library - Research guides and links to sites providing citation formats and examples. In addition, ability to ask a librarian for information in online chat, and make an appointment with a subject librarian.
Duke University Libraries Citation Guides for Research Writing - Guides (with downloadable versions) for citing in APA, Chicago, MLA, Turabian, and CSE styles.
Univeristy of North Carolina Chapel Hill Writing Center Handouts - A comprehensive collection of helpful handouts and video lessons, also has an ESL Resource page.
Writing Commons - Online handbook with resources on information literacy, research methods and methodologies, the writing process, collaboration, various genres of writing, new media, and style.
- Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) - CFAR provides study training, drop-in tutoring, and study groups for selected courses (often math, science, and business courses). CFAR also offers individual academic mentoring for eligible students.
- Center for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CEITL)- Offers a rich collection of resources, information, and expertise to support the university's mission of enhancing student learning through the continual improvement of teaching.
- Career and Professional Success (CaPS) - The CaPS helps students identify interests, skills, and values that lead to a major and a post-UNH experience. They assist students with writing resumes and cover letters, finding jobs or internships, and applying to graduate school.
- Student Accessibility Services (SAS) - Accessibility Services assists students with documented disabilities (physical, medical, LD or ADD/ADHD, psychological, or chronic illness) by providing appropriate accommodations and support within the university environment.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Institute - The ESL Institute is designed for students who want to develop their English language skills and learn more about American culture. ESL courses are offered at UNH during the summer and the academic year.
- Hi, English Learning Partner (HELP) - HELP is an academic club at the University of New Hampshire. We help ESL students improve their English writing abilities and understand American academic culture.
- CWC Campus Resources Handout - The handout contains a list of additional campus resources not listed on the website.
Video and PowerPoint Resources
- Effective Presentations
- Terrible Presentations (and How Not to Give One)
- Video: Advice on using (and not using) PowerPoint
Handouts for oral presentations
- Reducing public speaking anxiety
- Presentation preparation countdown
- Self-coaching worksheet part 1: Planning content
- Self-coaching worksheet part 2: Delivery
Some useful Web Resources
- American Rhetoric, a huge database of speeches (many with video), both from the "real world" and from the movies.
An Introduction to the Connors Writing Center -- A brief, introductory video about the writing center and our services.
UNH Writing Assistants Talk About Writing -- A collection of reflections on and tips about writing in college from UNH writing assistants.
The Peer Response Presentation
The two videos below are recordings of the skits we use during peer response presentations. Between each skit, we engage the class in a discussion about the effectiveness of each response session. We've also included the two handouts we bring to classes for the peer response presentation: first, a copy of the essay from the videos so that the class can follow along; second, a handout of tips for approaching peer response sessions.
Texts and Virtual Texts
- Writing Commons
- U of Wisconsin, Madison Writer's Handbook
- U of Illinois Writer Resources & Grammar Handbook
- The Mayfield Handbook of Tehnical and Scientific Writing
- Penn. State University Style for Students Online
- University of North Carolina Chapel HIll Writing Center Handouts Page
- Writing In College: From Competence to Excellence (Guptill)
- The Norton Field Guide to Writing
Faculty Resource Compilations
Teaching Tools and Guides
- University of Michigan Sweetland Center for Writing Teaching Resources
- University of Minnesota Center for Writing Teaching Resources
- Colorado State Writing Studio Teaching Guides and Teaching Activities Bank
- HarvardWrites Faculty Tookits for Teaching With Writing and Commenting and Grading
- Harvard Writing Project Guides to Teaching Writing
- WAC Clearinghouse Writing Guides and Faculty Teaching Tip Sheets
- Dartmouth Institute for Writing and Rhetoric Teaching Writing as a Process Guide
Rubrics and Feedback
- Aims Community College Instructor Resources: Using Rubrics
- Carnegie Mellon Eberly Center Grading and Peformance Rubrics
- Colorado State Writing Studio Rubrics for Commenting and Grading
- Ohio State Writing Across the Curriculum Rubric Page
- Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching: Grading Student Work
- University of Connecticut Writing Center: Collaborative Writing Resources
- Penn State Schreyer Institute: Commonly Asked Questions About Teaching Collaborative Activities (pdf)
- University of Michigan Sweetland Center for Writing: Assigning and Managing Collaborative Writing Projects
- Carnegie Mellon Eberly Center: Using Group Projects Effectively