On-Campus Employment (F-1)

Eligibility Requirements

You may work on-campus if:

  • You are maintaining F-1 status
  • You do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session (Note: Graduate Assistantships are equal to 20 hours per week.)

You may work 40 hours per week during university holidays (spring, summer, and winter breaks).

You may NOT be employed on-campus after you have completed a program of study, unless you have applied for and been granted written permission to engage in Optional Practical Training.

Hiring Paperwork

Before you begin working on-campus, you must complete the required hiring paperwork (I-9, W-4, etc.) to verify that you are eligible to work.  Please schedule an appointment with OISS's Employment Compliance Coordinator to complete the paperwork.

While immigration regulations provide a variety of opportunities for you to be employed during your time in F-1 status, working without authorization is a serious violation of your status.

Off-Campus Employment (F-1)

International students in F-1 status have off-campus employment options available to them, provided they are maintaining lawful student status and are doing well academically.

Curricular Practical Training: employment prior to completion of studies which is either required as part of your curriculum or for which you will receive academic credit.

Optional Practical Training: employment after completion of your academic program, which is related to your field of study and commensurate with your educational level.

Employment Due to Severe Economic Hardship: students who are experiencing a severe, unforeseen economic hardship may be eligible for this type of employment. For more information, contact OISS.