Inviting Visiting Scholars

OISS helps to promote international education and cultural exchange through the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. If you are interested in hosting a visiting scholar from overseas, please read the information below.

Prospective International Faculty & Scholars 

J-1 Visa

J-1 status is used for professors, research scholars, and short-term scholars for temporary participation in approved programs of teaching and research. Postdocs, lecturers, and visiting researchers are all eligible to apply for a J-1 visa. If  you would like to visit UNH as an International Scholar, you will need to find a UNH Sponsor.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

H-1B Visa

H-1B status is for non-immigrant employees in a “specialty occupation,” where the position requires at a minimum a bachelor's degree. The H-1B has minimum wage requirements that must be met by the employing department/unit and requires the filing of a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor (DOL) prior to filing an H-1B petition with USCIS. Departments/units at UNH sponsor employees who have full-time teaching and/or research appointments for which secure funding is available.

H-1B Temporary Worker Visa