Hiring an International Student

If you offer an assistantship to an incoming or current UNH student, please be sure to copy the OISS on the offer letter, as the award needs to be indicated on any immigration documents issued by the office.

If you wish to hire an incoming student

  • If the student is already in the U.S. in valid student status at another institution and will be attending UNH the next academic term, it is possible for the student to work at either campus between semesters if the transfer process is properly coordinated between schools. Contact the OISS for additional information.
  • If the student is already in the U.S. in non-student status, he or she must make an application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and receive approval of a change of status to either F-1 or J-1 classification prior to beginning employment. The OISS assists students with this process and submits the applications to the USCIS on the students' behalf.
  • If on-campus employment is being offered earlier than the semester of admission, consult OISS staff for appropriate procedures.

If you wish to hire a current UNH student

  • Contact an advisor to determine if the student is eligible to accept employment.
  • In general students may work a maximum of 20 hours/week.
  • Prior authorization from OISS or USCIS may be required before beginning employment.

For more information on the specific employment options for international students please visit: