Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment that

  • Must be an integral part of the curriculum, in which the student earns academic credit
  • Is authorized by OISS prior to the internship start date

Curricular Practical Training may be part time (up to 20 hours per week) while the student is enrolled in classes. Students who are authorized for part time CPT must be very careful not to exceed the 20 hour/week limit.

Curricular Practical Training may be full time (up to 40 hours per week) during official University breaks, such as summer vacation. If a student engages in full time CPT for 12 months, he/she loses eligibility to engage in Optional Practical Training (OPT) at that degree level.

Eligibility requirements

  • Student must be in lawful F-1 status
  • Student must have been enrolled in a degree program for at least one full academic year
  • Student must be in good academic standing
  • Internship must be related to student's field of study/primary major and appropriate to degree level
  • NOTE: If training is required by the degree program, graduate students may engage in CPT whenever the program requires it, regardless of whether they have completed a full academic year.

Application process

Complete and submit OISS's online CPT Authorization Form at least two weeks prior to proposed start date of internship:

  • Login to eOISS
    • Under the heading F-1 Practical Training, choose "CPT Authorization Form"
  • When completing your eForm, you will need to upload:
    • A copy of the job description or posting
    • An employment offer letter including: place of employment, job title and responsibilities, start/end dates, and whether the job is part-time or full-time
    • Proof of course registration for internship or independent study credit
  • Before submitting your eForm, please meet with your Academic Advisor.
    • After you submit your eForm, your advisor will be sent an email notification to approve your request.

An OISS Advisor will review your eForm and make a determination if CPT is appropriate. Then the advisor will enter your employment authorization into SEVIS, and you will be issued a new I-20.