Transportation & Driving

  • A certificate of completion of a Driver’s Education Course OR a driving license from your home country. A Driver’s Education course is required if you do not have a license from your home country.  (see Driver Education courses below)
  • If you are bringing a license, you will also need your driving record (in English)
  • Certification Letter from OISS (valid for 60 days). Visit eOISS Online Services | UNH Global to request a letter.
  • If you live off-campus: Copy of your housing contract/ lease or a bill that has your name and living address on it.
  • Application for Driver’s License 
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019
  • Passport & Visa
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure form
  • Social Security Card or Ineligibility Letter: A Social Security card is issued only for employment purposes.  If you do not have employment, the Social Security Office will issue a letter verifying that you are not eligible for for a Social Security Number (SSN).  Phone 888-397-9796.
  • Link to more details on required documents.


  • Enroll in and pass Driver’s Education Course OR Bring your license and driving record (in English) from your home country.
  • Collect all required documents.
  • Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Concord or Manchester. The person who drives you there must have a valid NH license and is over 25 years old.
  • Pass a vision test, the computer based written test, and the road test.
  • You will receive a temporary NH License valid for 60 days.
  • Your permanent license will be mailed to your NH mailing address within 60 days.

  • The computer test is 40 multiple choice questions.
  • The road test is usually 15 minutes long, and you must have a car to take the test. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does NOT provide cars. Before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) it is recommended you study the NH Driver’s Manual, to help you pass the computer test. 
  • If you purchase a car make sure to also buy Car Insurance.

  • If you see police, or emergency vehicle lights, pull over to a safe place on your right side.
  • Stay in your car and wait for the police to approach. Remain calm and keep your hands visible.
  • Provide proper documentation when asked, such as a valid driver’s license, and car registration.
  • Immediately inform OISS of any traffic violations.
  • If you get into an accident with another car, person, or property you are required to report the accident to the police. Wait for the police to arrive and do not leave the accident site.


  • OISS
    10 Library Way
    315 Conant Hall
    Durham, NH 03824
    (603) 862-1288
  • Concord Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
    23 Hazen Drive
    Concord, NH 03305
    (603) 271-2251
  • Manchester Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
    377 S Willow Street
    Manchester, NH 03103
    (603) 227-4000



Why buy car insurance?

Car insurance offers financial protection. If you cause a car accident, you may be held responsible for costs associated with it.  These may include legal fees, the injured person’s medical expenses or their lost income if their injuries make them unable to work.  Liability coverage may help pay for these costs.