Bringing Dependents for J-1

The spouse or unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of a J-1 student may accompany the student to the U.S. or follow at a later date. If you wish to request that your dependent(s) join you, you must:

Complete OISS's online dependent request process

  • Login to eOISS
    • If you are a newly admitted student, complete the entire Application for a SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 Document eForm [including the Dependents (Spouse/Children) section].
    • If you are a current student, complete the Add a Dependent (Spouse/Children) eForm under the "International Office" heading.

If you are bringing your school-age children to the U.S., you need to make all of their immunizations are up to date and documented

  • School-age children (ages 6 to 16) are required to attend school. You will need to provide their official birth certificates, school records, complete medical history and immunization records. You will not be able to enroll your children in school without these documents. IMPORTANT: See immunization requirements for NH Schools.
  • Childcare centers (for younger children or after-school care) are expensive and usually have a waiting list. It may not be possible to find a center to take care of your child immediately.

Show proof of adequate financial support as follows

  • $10,000 for the first dependent
  • $8,000 for each additional dependent

Acceptable financial documentation (less than six months old):

  • Personal bank statement
  • Family bank statement, accompanied by Affidavit of Support


If you are currently living in Babcock Hall, you will need to arrange for alternative housing, as your family will not be able to live there. Also, if your dependent(s) will arrive during the academic year, you will have to file a petition with the Housing Department requesting to be released from your contract. THE PETITION MAY BE DENIED. Even if the petition is approved, there is no guarantee that you will receive any type of refund. Contact UNH's Housing & Residential Life for more information.

Health Insurance

Health insurance is strongly recommended for all dependents. Although coverage is very expensive, the cost of unexpected medical services is much higher. Your dependents will not be covered under the University Health Fee. If you do not have coverage, UNH offers an insurance policy that meets all requirements.

It is important to remember that students/scholars in non-immigrant visa categories are not eligible for any types of U.S. Federal Government funds or funded programs to assist them or their families while they are in the U.S. (e.g., subsidized housing, subsidized healthcare, food stamps, etc.).