Study Away Eligibility Requirements
To study abroad, you must you must submit the Study Away Eligibility Form to your Dean's office the semester before you study abroad. This form can be found on your UNH-Via account, in your program application. This certifies that you meet the UNH Study Away Eligibility policy criteria:
- Be in good standing with the Student Conduct System at the time of application and throughout the study abroad program.
- A student who is on probation, regardless of the underlying violation, must successfully petition through the Academic Standards and Advising Committee (ASAC) for permission to participate. Students who have had a violation in the past, may still need to petition. Please contact your Dean's Office for more information. Petitions are available in the student's College Dean's Office.
- Have earned at least 32 credit hours at the time of departure. At least 12 of these credits must have been earned at UNH at the baccalaureate level.
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application and at the time of departure. Note: some study abroad programs may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
- Have a declared major at the time of application. Transfer students, including transfer students from the Thompson School of Applied Science (TSAS) are not eligible to study abroad during the first semester of their baccalaureate program at UNH.
Students enrolled in the degree programs of the Thompson School of Applied Science may participate in approved study abroad programs appropriate for two-year degree candidates. More information can be found on the TSAS Study Abroad Information Sheet. TSAS students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- 32 credits earned at the time of application. At least 12 of these credits must have been earned at UNH at the associate degree level.
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application and at the time of departure. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
Study Away Eligibility Form
The Study Away Eligibility form is one of many forms you must submit to UNH. It verifies that you meet both judicial and academic standards as set by UNH for study away programs, both at the time of application and prior to departure. The form must be submitted the semester before you go.
Here’s how it works:
1. Download the form in the program application in UNH-Via.
2. Print the form and fill out the first section.
3. Submit the form to your Dean's office.
4. Your Dean's office will fill out the second part of the form and return it to the Global Education Center. We will notify you of the outcome through your UNH-Via account.
Please be aware that your Study Abroad Advisor cannot sign any forms from a study abroad provider/foreign university until she has received the eligibility form back from your Dean’s Office.
As mentioned before, the Study Away Eligibility form must be submitted the semester before you go abroad. If you want to apply for a program earlier, you must submit an eligibility form at that time and repeat the process the semester before you actually go abroad.
Please note that another judicial and academic eligibility check will be performed prior to departure.