Prospective UNH Students

First Year Students Become the Roar


Welcome to UNH and SAS

Congratulations on becoming a UNH Wildcat! We look forward to working with you.

The transition from high school to college is an exciting time for students and their families. It can be a time of uncertainty regarding expectations and responsibilities. There are some important differences between high school and college accommodations. The educational responsibilities shift from a shared model between the school system, parents, and student to one in which the student is solely responsible for their education.

Implementation of accommodations is student-driven and at the request of the student. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Identifying as a student with a disability
  • Following SAS processes for providing required documentation
  • Scheduling appointments with SAS staff
  • Sending letters of accommodations to faculty
  • Utilizing accommodations

Students who are undecided about using accommodations in college are welcome to meet with SAS to explore their options. There is a higher level of privacy and confidentiality in college compared to K-12. The nature of the disability and diagnosis is not shared with faculty. If the student chooses to send letters of accommodations to their instructors, only the approved accommodations will be included – not the reason for them.

Families can appropriately support their student by encouraging self-advocacy and independence. If you think a service or accommodation would be helpful, or if your student shares a concern, please ask them to contact SAS.

While SAS works directly with students, we are available to speak with parents provided the student has signed a Release of Information (ROI). The release allows SAS to share information. It does not alter the responsibilities or decision-making rights of the student. In the absence of an ROI, SAS can only share general information about our processes. SAS is unable to acknowledge whether contact with the student has occurred or not.

SAS is committed to supporting students as they transition from high school to college. We are here to assist as they navigate the services and resources offered at UNH. We provide guidance and referrals in matters related to policies and procedures of the University. We support and help develop individual responsibility and self-advocacy.

Contact SAS as soon as you have any concerns or questions. SAS can only help when we hear from you!

Differences Between High School and Postsecondary Ed

Before talking about the specifics of how to engage with SAS, it is important to discuss how accommodations are different than services you might have received in high school. The document below outlines several common differences between high school and postsecondary ed. This is not an exclusive list as some universities, colleges, and professors may have different procedures.

Comparing Higher Ed with K-12


FAQs for Prospective Students

By calling the office during business hours at 603-862-2607 or emailing and providing the following: 

  • Your full name 

  • Contact information 

  • Reason for appointment 

  • Several days and times to meet that work for your schedule 

If an applicant to the University would like to discuss accommodations during the admissions process and/or prior to receiving a UNH email and ID, please contact SAS at 603-862-2607 or We are always happy to help!

No. Documentation related to accommodations should be shared directly with SAS. Documentation should not be included with your admission materials. The admissions process is not the same as the accommodations process. Admissions requirements for students with disabilities are the same as for all students. Students who choose to, may share information regarding their disability in an admission essay, but disclosing a disability is a personal decision and is not required in the admissions process.

Documentation can be sent to SAS via Clockwork. Documentation can be submitted directly by your provider through the Provider Verification Form or, if you do not have a current providercan be uploaded directly to Clockwork by the student. See the General Documentation Guidelines or the Housing-Only documentation Guidelines. Please contact SAS for any additional questions or help submitting documentation.

Yes, we are open all year. Summer is an ideal time to visit SAS and get the accommodation process started. We look forward to seeing you before the semester starts! 

The accommodation process is the process used to determine what accommodations are reasonable for an individual student. While all approved accommodations will necessarily vary, all students go through the interactive process. The most important steps that you will need to take are: 

Step 1. Register with SAS 

Step 2. Submit Documentation  

Step 3. Schedule to Meet with SAS 

For more information on the process, including all the steps that SAS will take in the process, please view our Student Handbook. The Student Handbook goes into depth on each of the above steps and much more.  

SAS communicates with students via their UNH email account. SAS will only use your UNH email account. Be sure to check your UNH account so you do not miss important information from SAS and other UNH departments.  

You may also choose to call SAS or visit our office if you are on campus.  

FAQs for Families

The student is responsible for all steps in the accommodations process. As such, appointments are arranged by the student. Parents may help the student navigate the process, but ultimately the student is responsible for scheduling appointments with SAS. 

If you think an accommodation or service would benefit your student, please ask them to make an appointment with SAS. Accommodation requests must be made by the student and approved through the interactive accommodations process. 

SAS is responsible for determining and ensuring the provision of reasonable accommodations. Once accommodations have been approved, it is the responsibility of the student to request and utilize accommodations. Please click on the link below for more information for students registered with SAS. 

It is the responsibility of the student to reach out to SAS if they need additional assistance. SAS does, however, communicate with students throughout the semester. SAS sends out email reminders of important academic dates and deadlines several times during the semester. This communication from SAS may serve as a prompt for a student to connect with SAS.  

Targeted email to students who have registered via Clockwork and have not made an appointment are sent each semester as a check-in and invitation to make an appointment, if they have any concerns and/or questions. Students are encouraged and welcome to check in with SAS during the semester. 

SAS does not have on-going access to the academic progress of students registered with the office. It is expected that students will work with their academic advisor and instructors to monitor their progress and address any academic issues.  

For additional academic supports, SAS refers students to resources on campus for academic support, including the Center for Academic Resources (CFAR), the Connors Writing Center and the Math Center (MaC). 

Due to data privacy requirements, SAS can only exchange information with the student. This includes information about the student's status with SAS, accommodations, meeting notes, and other information that is part of the student record. If your student would like SAS to exchange information with you, the student is required to complete a Release of Information (ROI).  

It is not uncommon for students to wait to see how the semester is going before contacting SAS. There is no deadline to request accommodations, however, accommodations are not retroactive. The accommodations process can also take time to put in place, so it is important to be as proactive as possible.  

 Encourage your student to make an appointment to discuss their options. The choice to use accommodations or not is up to them. SAS is available to guide them through the accommodation process and discuss other campus resources. 

SAS is responsible for helping students with accommodations. SAS does not offer additional supports such as Executive Functioning Coaches, social supports, or tutoring. SAS does, however, support students by connecting them to campus resources, such as Psychological and Counseling Services (PACS), Health & Wellness, on-campus activities fairs and residential life staff for residence hall activities and programs. These other campus offices can help support a wide range of student needs.