Sample Letter

[Your street address]
[Your city, state and zip code]


U.S. Department of Homeland Security 
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am the J-2 dependent of a J-1 Exchange Visitor in valid “J” status. The purpose of this letter is to submit my application for work authorization.

My (husband/wife's/parent's) Form DS-2019 shows $XX,XXX in support, (including $XX,XXX from the University of New Hampshire and/or $XX,XXX from my (home government/home institution in (name of country). In addition, the enclosed statement from XXXX Bank indicates that we have a current bank balance of $XX,XXX. We also have an additional $XX,XXX in personal funds available to us in the XXX Bank in (name of home country).

Our monthly budget is as follows:

$ XXX Rent and utilities (electric, heat, phone, etc.)
XXX Food
XXX Miscellaneous (clothing, transportation, recreation, etc.)

As this budget shows, we have enough money to live modestly, but there are no funds left for expenses which are not essential. At this time, I would like to seek employment in the United States in order to provide supplemental income which will be used to (take English or other course(s), do some traveling around the U.S., increase my knowledge of U.S. customs and culture, etc.). I understand that none of my earnings may be used for the support of my J-1 spouse. Therefore, I respectfully request your approval of this application and grant me permission to be employed in the U.S.


[Your name]