Reimbursement of Expenses

The U.S. Government recognizes the value of short-term academic exchanges and permits international scholars entering the U.S. in "business" or "tourist" visa classifications to receive payment of honoraria for "usual academic activities". Reimbursement for travel and reasonable incidental expenses, such as accommodations and meals, are also permitted under the same conditions.

While academic institutions may pay honoraria and/or to provide reimbursement of expenses to foreign nationals who enter the U.S. as tourists (B-2/VWT) or visitors for business (B-1/VWB), there are certain conditions for payment.  Not everyone in B-1/B-2 or VWB/VWT is eligible.

Who is allowed to receive honorarium payments and reimbursement for travel expenses?

A foreign national is allowed to receive an honorarium or a reimbursement if he/she is in the U.S. in valid "B-1/B-2" status and will be at UNH to engage in a "usual academic activity” lasting no longer than nine days.  Examples of "usual academic activities" include giving seminars/lectures/workshops, demonstrating techniques, conducting master classes, collaborative research, attending meetings, consulting, etc.

The foreign national is prohibited from receiving more than six such payments from academic institutions or nonprofit research institutes within a six-month period. These rules also apply to foreign nationals in the U.S. with “VWB” or “VWT” notation on the Form I-94.

What documentation is needed so that payment can be authorized?

When an international visitor in "B" status arrives at UNH, the department must make copies of:

  • The identification page of the passport
  • The expiration date of the passport (may not always be on the ID page)
  • The Form I-94
  • The "B-1/B-2" visa in the passport (Note: Canadians do not receive a visa)

Assist the visitor in completing the Visitor Declaration Form to confirm that s/he is eligible to receive payment. UNH departments should send the completed, signed declaration form (along with supporting documentation) with the request for payment to their Business Services Center representative. No payment will be issued unless the declaration form is completed properly and submitted with appropriate documentation.

For more information on procedures for these types of payments, contact:

UNH Payroll
Phone: (603) 862-1400

What if the visitor does not meet the eligibility criteria for an honorarium?

Foreign nationals in B-1/VWB status (visitors for business) who are no longer eligible for honoraria may still be reimbursed for expenses. Note that this is not the case for individuals in B-2/VWT (visitors for tourism) status. These individuals may not be reimbursed for expenses or paid honoraria once the permissible length of activity and number of payments has been reached.​