1. Attend an OPT Meeting. OISS offers OPT Meetings every semester. For a complete schedule, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete and submit OISS's online OPT Request Form.
- Login to eOISS
- Under the heading F-1 Practical Training, choose "OPT Request Form"
- When completing your eForm, you will need to upload:
- Before submitting your eForm, please meet with your Academic Advisor.
- After you submit your eForm, your advisor will be sent an email notification to support your request.
3. An OISS Advisor will review your eForm and schedule an individual meeting with you. If appropriate, the OISS Advisor will issue a new Form I-20 with a recommendation for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Submit a complete application to the USCIS 90 days before your OPT employment start date. An application includes:
- Completed Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance;
- Completed Form I-765;
- 2 passport style photographs less than 30 days old (with your SEVIS Number written lightly in pencil on the back);
- Personal Check, Money Order, or Certified Bank Check for filing fee made out to the "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" (do NOT abbreviate). Check the current filing fee;
- Copy of Form I-20 with OISS Advisor's recommendation for OPT;
- Copies of ALL previously issued I-20s (front and back);
- Copies of certain passport pages: photo, date of birth, date of passport's issue and expiration, most recent F-1 visa stamp;
- Copy of most recent I-94 record; and
- Copy of previous EAD (front and back), if applicable.
Mail your application to:
For Priority Mail deliveries
PO Box 660867
Dallas TX 75266
For Express Mail and Courier deliveries
2501 S. State Hwy 121 Business
Lewisville TX 75067
NOTE: Once authorization to engage in OPT has been granted and an EAD has been issued, authorization may not be rescinded or canceled. Consult with OISS before taking any action that may jeopardize your OPT.