In order to extend the stay of a J-1 Exchange Visitor, an application must be submitted to OISS. No immigration-related documents will be prepared until documentation has been received from both the sponsoring department and the Exchange Visitor. All documentation must be submitted to OISS at least forty-five days prior to the expiration date on the scholar's Form DS-2019.
The Department Must
- Complete the J-1 Extension Application Form
- Issue a new departmental invitation letter
- Ensure that the Exchange Visitor has adequate financial resources to sustain him/herself and family members for the extension of the program
- Inform Human Resources of the extension, if the Exchange Visitor is paid by UNH
The Scholar Must
- Provide OISS with updated financial documentation, if funded by outside sources
- Provide OISS with updated health insurance information for the duration of the extension
OISS will review the application and extend the SEVIS (DS-2019) record, if applicable.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.