Extending the Stay of a J-1 Exchange Visitor

In order to extend the stay of a J-1 Exchange Visitor, an application must be submitted to OISS. No immigration-related documents will be prepared until documentation has been received from both the sponsoring department and the Exchange Visitor. All documentation must be submitted to OISS at least forty-five days prior to the expiration date on the scholar's Form DS-2019.

The department must:

  • Complete the J-1 Extension Application Form
  • Issue a new departmental invitation letter
  • Ensure that the Exchange Visitor has adequate financial resources to sustain him/herself and family members for the extension of the program
  • Inform Human Resources of the extension, if the Exchange Visitor is paid by UNH

The scholar must:

  • Provide OISS with updated financial documentation, if funded by outside sources
  • Provide OISS with updated health insurance information for the duration of the extension

OISS will review the application and extend the SEVIS (DS-2019) record, if applicable.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact oiss.advisor@unh.edu.